Thread: Prices of HDD have gone down

Prices of HDD have gone down

Comparing with the last year’s HDD price I have noticed that this year the HDD prices are tremendously going down. I have purchased two of the Seagate barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 drives for $179 at Amazon. Last year the same HDD was up for higher cost.
    But then I went for Western Digital Black 2TB and Hitachi 7K3000 2TB and both cost me around $200 and now I have notice that Hitachi has went down to $160 where as Western Digital is still at $200. Now from this what I want to show you is the decrease in the current price of the HDD. Am I only one who have noticed this difference? Please friends have your views and opinions.

Re: Prices of HDD have gone down

Yeah I do agree with you maybe the prices are going down, in fact even I have seen some of the sales. Western digital EARX drives have a $20 off especially at some of the local stores which I visited, might be there are other shops too who are doing the same as the ones which I have visited.
    But till now according to the current news it has been said that the prices wont be dropped until the Q3 2012 but there are chances that the customers will get some sort of discount.

If you see the hard drive manufacturers don’t really have any sort of incentive in order to just reduce the price of the HD, but I am sure that the customers are still going to prefer to buy them at the current rate as they have no other alternate option. Compared to the current HD rates 1TB+ storage devices cost 4-50x more. Its really quite difficult to spend $160 for 3TB disk when I managed to get one for $75. However the prices are seems to be coming down as there are number of 3TB external drivers that are going to hit the $160 rate.

Yeah the 2TB green drives price looks like roaming around $120-$130 which is not at all worrying but also not so happening if you were planning to built A raid array right before the occurrence of the flood.
    Now just this if you notice along with the price fluctuation also the warranties are reduced and shirked. If you need to increase the warranty surely you are supposed to invest more on the HDD which again brings you back to the normal price rate of the HDD which you use to get before.

I am still very much confused with the price of the HDD. When I went for removing the details the 2TB F4 was $75 at superbiiz and the 500GB F3 was $50 and the 1TB M8 was for ~$85, I seriously wont be happy until they get back to that and also Samsung wont release some higher density drives in both factors.
    Its like we are oweing a data loss by just buying 5 platter drives from seagate or hitachi. How can a person try to expect to keep up 3 or 4 TB on a single disk without parity or backup.
    Also 2002FAEX is one amongst them who price was never cheap for a normal user. Before the flood it was roaming around and between $140 and $150. I would still wait and see what the price at last comes to.