Thread: Bad USB port engineering of Seagate FreeAgent Pro hard disk

Bad USB port engineering of Seagate FreeAgent Pro hard disk

I purchased a Seagate FreeAgent Pro 500 GB hard disk to get a backup of my data. As I was trying to plug the hard disk in the USB port of my computer, it wouldn’t go in properly. So I pushed it in the port and the internal base and connector got pushed behind. It seems like they weren’t even attached internally. I opened the connector and found that the base wasn’t soldered to the connector. I called the Seagate customer care and they told me that warranty was void if any part was broken due to user’s handling. Did anyone else has had this problem, how do I solve it I need to store the data urgently?

Re: Bad USB port engineering of Seagate FreeAgent Pro hard disk

Many people have same complaints about the Bad USB port engineering of Seagate FreeAgent Pro hard disks, everybody has the same complaint about the USB port breaking or not working properly. No one knows how to claim the warranty. Even if you buy a new similar wire for creating connection, it does not work. Some people got a wire which connected the hard disk to their computer, but the performance wasn’t given as expected or the original wire would have given.

I repaired the broken USB port by replacing the broken parts with the new ones. Tae the both drive apart and unscrew the bottom circuit from where it was attached. Now replace the broken USB port with the good one and it will start working normal. Precautions that you need to be taken are that don’t use any spare port. You should use the port from other Seagate hard disk. Also use static gloves when working on the internal parts of the hard disk. Minute amount of static energy can badly damage the circuits and parts of the hard disk.

The solution for replacing the damaged USB port works fine. But the only problem is that it ends the warranty of the hard disk for other parts too.