Thread: Chirping sound in Seagate XT hard disk

Chirping sound in Seagate XT hard disk

I recently ordered a Seagate XT 500 GB hard disk online. I received it yesterday and I started using it. I previously had a Seagate XT 320 GB hard disk with SD22 firmware in it. The new Seagate XT 500 GB hard disk claims that it can go up to transfer rate of 150 mbps. I have a USB 2.0 in front of my computer. I connected the hard disk to this USB slot in the front and started the data transfer. While transferring the data, I heard a chirping sound coming from the hard disk. This chirping sound is not heard when I connect the same hard disk to my girlfriend’s Dell Inspiron 1720 W7-64 laptop. What can be the cause the sound coming from a brand new hard disk?

Re: Chirping sound in Seagate XT hard disk

My guess is that the hard disk is not getting enough power supply to operate. As you mentioned in your question, the USB slot in which you are plugging in the hard disk is USB 2.0. The hard disk which you have purchased is a new one. So the possibility is that the hard disk requires USB version that is higher than 2.0. This must be the cause for insufficient power supply to the hard disk. Also the Dell Inspiron 1720 W7-64 must be having USB slot of version that is higher than version 2.0. If you are hearing the disks spin inside, then there no problem with the hard disk.

I think that this problem is related to the firmware that is present and being used in the new hard disk. See to it that the firmware that you are using in the hard disk is updated and compatible with USB 2.0. Compare the 5 V current draw in the new hard disk and the old hard disk that uses SD22 firmware. You should also test the timings of the head park and the disk spin up. If the head park is done before the spin up starts, then there is a problem with amount of power that is being supplied to the hard disk. If the spin up start requires two or more kicks then again this can be a issue of insufficient power supply.

You can check the specifications of your motherboard, if it supports high powered devices. Devices that have a USB 3.0 connector are considered as a high power requiring device. Firmware plays a great part in deciding the speed of the disks at which they should spin. You can try downgrading the version of firmware that your hard disk is using. The lower version that is compatible with your USB slots will manage the spin rate and the power required to control the spinning properly.

If you try to downgrade the firmware of your hard disk by using the load driver of USB 3.0 driver card, then it will take a large amount of time. The OS will prompt you to format the drive for better performance, click on ‘No’ to ignore the formatting process. The firmware will obviously install faster if the hard disk is formatted. But the time required to format the hard disk is almost equal to the time required for formatting the data.

You can try increasing the number of connecting cables that connect the motherboard and the hard disk. More cables will increase the amount of power supplied to the hard disk. This ample amount of power supply will stop the chirping sound and balance the spin rate in the hard disk.

Well I stumbled on a cause for the Infamous Seagate "Chirping" on the new 1TB/1 Platter Hard-drives. I have had 4 drives do this and It appears,that on my system, the whole thing is attributed to the combonation of an HP DVD SATA I drive on the same SATA II mobo as the SATA III Seagate drive lol. I happened on this by accident while removing the DVD to quickly install a backup drive to transfer files from to the Seagate. Prior to removing the HP DVD, the Seagate drive was chirping and I had just bought it an hour earlier from a store front. When I removed the HP DVD and put a backup Hitatchi HD in with the Seagate the chirping stopped. I have not heard it for a solid 4-5 hours and the chirp was happening about every 3-5 minutes.

Now in defense, both drives work fine when only one or the other is present but together the "chirping" appears and it is coming from the Seagate drive. It kind of makes sense. I spent 30min on the phone with Seagate tech support prior to stumbling on this cause and the only explination they could provide was the chirping was "power related" but I tried the drive on 2 different powersupplies. I'm lucky I stumbled on the cause. I haven't tried a fix yet but I'll try putting the HP DVD on a seperate power lead, replacing the sataII cable with a sata I and if need be just upgrading to a sataIII or sata II DVD. Was planing on getting IB sata III mobo but waiting till haswell.

Spread this around if possible. :toast::rockout:
    but now the dang drive is clicking.. honestly this is my 4th seagate drive since Jan. and they are CRAP.
    Last edited by RigRebel; 12-04-2012 at 10:34 AM.

UPDATE: 40minutes later....
    Well I replaced the SATA II cable on the SATA I HP DVD with a SATA I cable and YEP that did it! Confirmed. Having the matching SATAI cable has eliminated the chirping (and faint clicking has dissapeared aswell) on the Seagate sata III HD for over 40min..
    Wow this one was a WIERD one. Technically, I didn't do anything wrong because the SATAI DVD had worked with that Sata II cable and another SATAII HD for years on the same SATA II mobo with no problems. Again, by themselves, each drive worked fine; but, when I added the SATAIII Seagate ST1000DM003 HD in with the HP DVD SataI on a SATA II cable the chirp happened. I don't think Seagate is aware of the cause because 30min with 2 techs today came up with no answer.
    All in all this is a good "better safe than sorry" lesson for making sure your cables match exactly with the device standard even if a newer standard is backwards compatible.

Peace.
    (ps) sorry for double post, it won't let me edit previous post