Thread: Should I switch to Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB on MacBook Pro?

Should I switch to Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB on MacBook Pro?

Currently I am having MacBook Pro. Now I am looking to have better hard drive and I think Momentus XT 750gb would definitely full feel the requirement of mine. I am aware of that there were firmware issue, spindown with the first generation of the Drive. now tell me whether the current version of drives are bug free? I would install the same without having any partition. Also I found that there is a battery issue with drive as well. Any help on this particular situation will be appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Should I switch to Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB on MacBook Pro?

Yes you are correct there were lots of issues associated with the first generation of the drive. however my friend is having 1st generation drive and he told me that he had not got any issue so far. The 2nd generation of the drives there are lots of things are improved. But be sure that you must not clone the drives of yours before you try to install the drives on MBP.

I recommend following thing to when you wanted to install new drive on your device.
    • Make a Time Machine back up from the original drive and you should not clone it. mostly I have found that issue is being happening because of cloning of drive and restoring the same.
    • Now you have to install new drive on the laptop and clean install of Lion or Snow Leopard.
    • After that restore from the Time Machine Back up.

As far as battery issue is concerned there is no proper solution is available about the same. it is dependent what kind of work you are supposed to do on Mac and what kind of application do you running. This particular drive has been benchmarked that it would use same amount of energy as it has been used by a normal 7200 RPM drive. So far I have not seen any difference in the battery as well.