Thread: Dell PowerVault MD3600f 20x3TB (RAID10) are giving slow performance

Dell PowerVault MD3600f 20x3TB (RAID10) are giving slow performance

I have recently configured Dell PowerVault MD3600f as single virtual disk. (RAID10 20x3TB) so as to use it as shared storage for the Citrix Xenserver 6.0.2 but then I am just getting very slow performance, I have made sure that I am having the newest firmware update but then it seems not to be making any difference, is there anyone who is getting better performance with the same configuration that I am having???

Re: Dell PowerVault MD3600f 20x3TB (RAID10) are giving slow performance

I have recently configured Dell PowerVault MD3600f as single virtual disk. (RAID10 20x3TB) so as to use it as shared storage for the Citrix Xenserver 6.0.2 but then I am just getting very slow performance, I have made sure that I am having the newest firmware update but then it seems not to be making any difference, is there anyone who is getting better performance with the same configuration that I am having???
    I just wanted to know that which are the controllers in the server that the SAN is connected to and I also wanted to know that how have you cabled them all together, just provide some more information about your case so that I can have a better idea of the issue you are facing and will try to help you with the same, if you want then you can just go through the below guides and see if they are helping you out for setting up the MD3600f properly.
    Dell PowerVault MD3600f and MD3620f Storage Arrays Deployment Guide
    Configuring Fibre Channel with Dell MD3600f Series Storage Arrays
    If you have any further issues then you can feel free to ask.

See in my case HBA Controllers is Qlogic 8 Gb/s QME2572 where as I have done the caballing as per the guide that you have linked about and I don’t think that I had missed out anything, I have followed the below pattern for caballing which is here for RAID10 36x3TB.

Other than this I have enabled Multipath and all the connections were checked previously, is there anything else that I can check out???

I think that you should try out the below things as XenServer 5.6.0 is supported on the 3600f it is getting hard to detect out the cause of it so just try out these things.
    • Try out via sansurfer CLI to adjust the linux qlport_down_retry count to 10 rather than using the default settings
    • Try out adjusting the multipath mode to Round Robin

Report back with the response that you get with the above changes.

I have now tried out changing the value Port down retry count to 10 but then it does not seems to be making any difference and the performance is still the same, poor!. I am already having Multipath mode round robin, I am really running out of ideas now and I am not able to track out the cause of this issue is there anything else that I can try out to get better performance, any further help for the same will be highly appreciated.