Thread: Canon IP4500 printer says Output tray is closed when its not.

Canon IP4500 printer says Output tray is closed when its not.

Hi, guys I am having a Canon IP4500 printer and has a strange problem right now that when I select to print anything it doent print and returns a message saying ”Printer output tray is closed please open tray and printing will resume”. When I inspected the printer with closer look, I have found that there is small plastic piece that has come off the printer which normally would press the micro switch to open a tray. How can I join that plastic piece back to the printer or else it won’t keep my tray open.

re: Canon IP4500 printer says Output tray is closed when its not.

There is a solution to it but you will need some tools to repair it. You will need electrical screwdriver, wire cutter and electrical tape. Now follow these steps to proceed:
    1. You need to lift the printer panel from the side that has the power switch on it and place it to other side of the printer. You will see the silver casing inside , remove it by pressing the buttons from the top. By pressing that you will be able to slide that silver casing away.
    2. Now turn the printer upside down and remove the panel from the printer with the help of small screwdriver. Remove the silver casing way.
    3. You will see the plastic lip just above the paper feed button lift, you need to bring it forward to release the pins. These pins are very delicate so be careful while handling them. After removing the pins slightly lift the front panel and it will come away.
    4. Now what you are seeing is the bottom of the printer, there you will see the two yellow wires connected to the switch. Now cut those wires now and remove plastic covering and join them together with electrical tape that you have or you can solder it if you want.
    5. Now you will have to repeat all the steps back in the reverse manner to fit the printer back.

Re: Canon IP4500 printer says Output tray is closed when its not.

This solution does works - I've just done it! Someone has posted pics on printerforums net of which bits of printer panel need removing. Thanks to this post I've just saved myself the cost of a new printer. Thanks.