Thread: Seagate Momentus XT Chirp after updating to sd28

Seagate Momentus XT Chirp after updating to sd28

I have been using Seagate Momentus XT drive and everything was working fine by now but then now after updating it to sd28 I have found that it has started chirping, I never had this issue and I am quite sure that it has started after updating it to sd28, is there anyone else who has faced the same and has an idea about it and can help me out in fixing it??

Re: Seagate Momentus XT Chirp after updating to sd28

I have been using Seagate Momentus XT drive and everything was working fine by now but then now after updating it to sd28 I have found that it has started chirping, I never had this issue and I am quite sure that it has started after updating it to sd28, is there anyone else who has faced the same and has an idea about it and can help me out in fixing it??
    You have not yet provided much information about your case, so just let me know the below things:
    • Your firmware history ?
    • Is it an OEM drive?
    • What are the details on drivers?
    • Type of chipset?
    • Version of os?

Just answer me the above questions so that I can have a better idea of the issue that you are facing.

Even I am having the same issue after upgrading to SD23 to SD28 it was working fine by now, I had contacted the Seagate support but then they said that the drive might be failing, In my case I am having MacBook Pro with Lion, I have found that it is booting SeaTools for DOS but then I am not able to use the same as Apple's Disk Utility says SMART is Verified, I am quite sure that this issue is because of the update so I wanted to know that will there be a firmware update to address this issue??? I am asking so because I have checked out in some other forums where the same issue was addressed and many people had mentioned that their issue was solved after update.

Can you just provide a full SMART report for your issue and other than this make sure that you are having latest AHCI SATA drivers installed as well, as far as I am aware the drive chirps when it parks/unparks the heads, it appears to be like a squeak/beep noise, if I am right then you might be hearing the sound after drive is idle for some time, isn’t it??? Correct me if I am wrong?

I own a Dell xps notebook and I am facing the same with Momentus XT (500gb) I have upgraded the firmware from SD23 to SD28 by using the MomentusXT-ALL-SD28.exe file and since then I am getting the chirping sound, I am facing the below issues as well.
    • Video gets hanged when I am playing it from the drive, I don’t face the same When I play video from sd card or pendrive.
    • I have faced blue screen and system crash.
    • Battery life seems to have been affected as well

I am really regretting on my decision of upgrading the firmware is it possible to roll back to the previous firmware? Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.