Thread: Seagate Momentus XT 750GB is not getting recognized by Macbook Pro

Seagate Momentus XT 750GB is not getting recognized by Macbook Pro

I have recently bought Seagate Momentus XT 750GB and have cloned my OEM hard drive into the same but then I don’t know why it is not getting recognized by Macbook Pro when I am installing the same, for connecting it externally via USB and a SATA adapter then I will have to make use of external power source so as to power it, I don’t know what is the issue all about, is there anyone who can help???

re: Seagate Momentus XT 750GB is not getting recognized by Macbook Pro

I have recently bought Seagate Momentus XT 750GB and have cloned my OEM hard drive into the same but then I don’t know why it is not getting recognized by Macbook Pro when I am installing the same, for connecting it externally via USB and a SATA adapter then I will have to make use of external power source so as to power it, I don’t know what is the issue all about, is there anyone who can help???
    As far as I am aware Cloned drives might result in to such issues, so in order to avoid the same just make a clean installation from the OEM drive to Seagate Momentus XT 750GB, you will have to make a clean copy of Lion on it and later you can use Apple migration tool for transferring your files to it. Once you are done with the migration process then you should not have any issues in installing the drive in to your laptop, juyst try it out and then let me know if it is working out for you.

See as I have mentioned the when I am hooking up the drive to my laptop using a SATA to USB adapter with the help of an external power source then the drive is getting recognized without any issues but then when I am taking out the external power then the USB then it is not powering the 2.5 drive alone, so if I am installing it then it is not getting powered, the other thing I have found is that the laptop boots up fine when the drive is not installed in to it, I know that it is addressing symptoms of a bad ribbon cable / connector on the laptop but then I don’t think so as because I have tested other 2.5 drives and they are getting powered up using the same connector cable, I am still not sure so I just wanted to know if there is anything I can try out to test it out??

In that case I will like to inform you that other drives do have different requirements, where as Seagate Momentus XT 750GB is a large drive with 7200 RPM as well as with electronics that has additional power requirements, in order to test you out you might need to access a lab, if you want then you can send the same to an authorized center as they might be having spare parts to fix it out.

I agree you for that but then if it is having a bad ribbon cable and if the Apple will test the bay out with OEM drive and if it works fine then they won’t be helping me out, where as if they test the bay with the XT drive and it fails then they will just say that XT is a non-Apple drive and they won’t be repairing it out as well, so I will be left with nothing, I am just not able to make out that why the connector is not having any issue in powering other drives??? I mean if there might have been something wrong with the connector then it should have not powered up other drives as well. What do you think about the same???

That's a fir point as well, the only thing that I can suggest you here is making a clean installation, make sure that you are using licensed discs of OEM software because I think that will be only the way by which you can try to eliminate this issue from the things that you suspect. Just try out the same and then post back the result that you get, if you have any further issue then feel free to post.

Hey thanks for your interest but then I just wanted to add that apple is no more providing the restore discs and my Macbook had came with preinstalled os, I have checked out the OEM hard drive and there is just a recovery partition and nothing else, anyways I have now deleted all the things from the hard and have tried out a a clean version of Lion but then when I am installing it in the laptop then I am once again facing the same issue, it is appearing as the drive is just not spinning, I have contacted the Seagate support as well and they said that I should not have any issues with it as it is compatible with Macbook. So now I am really running out of ideas now, is there anything I can do about it further??? Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

Re: Seagate Momentus XT 750GB is not getting recognized by Macbook Pro

I think that the hard drive itself is faulty as per the solution that you have tried so far, I think that you should better ask Seagate for a replacement and then try out the same process to find out what is the issue all about, if that does not work as well then I will suspect Apple motherboard, connectors, and so on that might be causing the issue and if it is so then I don’t think that you have workaround to try, you will have to surely contact the Apple support and address them the whole issue. Hope that helps.