Thread: Seagate Goflex smaller than 4TB size for Mac will not work with Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 or 10.7.3.

Seagate Goflex smaller than 4TB size for Mac will not work with Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 or 10.7.3.

I am having MacBook Pro and it has been powered by stock OS. I don’t what is the reason but I am getting below mentioned error message regularly.

3/1/12 9:11:20.000 PM kernel: hfs: Runtime corruption detected on FreeAgent GoFlex Drive, fsck will be forced on next mount.

After the appearing of the error message the drive is getting corrupted. To fix the issue I need to do directory rebuilt for third party application or another things is formatting the entire drive. I could not do directory rebuilt all the time so only choice I had remained is wiping out the drive entirely. Well I am assuming that all the Mac OS X such as 10.7.2 or 10.7.3 are going to experience such failure. I got the above mentioned error message when I was transferring the data very fisrt time. I did not used TM any other backup program. The same error is also appearing when there is no data on the hard drive that is after formatting.

I am suspecting that there is major issue associated with the hard drive and it should be resolved. But could not get whether it is associated with Apple or Seagate.

If you know anything about the same then let me know as early as possible.

Re: Seagate Goflex smaller than 4TB size for Mac will not work with Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 or 10.7.3.

After going through the problem of yours I think there is something to do with the disk management. According to me corruption could occur anytime but mostly I have observed that it get happens when system is getting wake up from sleep and remounts your hard drive or system is getting booted and hard drive is scanning for mounting at the time of startup and simply fails to mount.

Re: Seagate Goflex smaller than 4TB size for Mac will not work with Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 or 10.7.3.

Looking at the situation I recommend below mentioned work around and let me know what results do you getting.

You should uninstall Seagate software. I let you know that uninstaller is provided with the installer itself. As you are trying to do custom installation you have to click on checkbox which is next to Seagate GoFlex Features and click on Checkbox which is available near to uninstall. After that click on Install button.. once you have done it would remove Seagate GoFlex Driver package. once you have done you will require to restart your computer.

Personally I am suspecting that driver did not seems to be compatible with 10.7 and I think Seagate has to do with the same.

As you have uninstalled the drivers then you will get some more problem. each and every time you are keeping computer into sleep mode the head of your hard drive might cause drive to be unmountable by OS. The only remady which I am aware of that you should shutdown your computer rather than that of putting the same into sleep mode. Still there is need of putting your system into sleep mode then you should use utility such as Alsoft's Disk Warroir or Micromat's Techtool Pro.

Well I am suspecting that either issue is associated with the hard ware component or firmware itself. I think one should not use this particular drive until and unless it has been fixed by the manufacturer.