Thread: Is chirping sound in Barracuda XT hard drive is normal

Is chirping sound in Barracuda XT hard drive is normal

Does a chirping sound inside a hard disk is normal or is it a kind of warning. This is sound is coming from Barracuda XT 3 TB. This is the only large capacity disk I have and the sound makes me tense. My friend has a similar western digital drive which does not show up any kind of sound. I had check the drive there is nothing broken on it. The drive is new and it looks that there is some issue inside. Till yet I had not faced any kind of crash or failure issues. Thanks.

Re: Is chirping sound in Barracuda XT hard drive is normal

I think your drive is going to crash soon. A proper hard disk never makes a sound. The chirping sound can be of some parts inside it which is going to crash soon. There are two things you can try. First open your system and check that hard disk not fitted too tightly. Loose the side screws a bit. Then check that any cable inside the system is not getting clashed with the fan. That can also the sound cause. If all is fine I will recommend you to keep a backup ready. Call Seagate customer care and ask for a replacement. It is possible that your hard drive head might crash soon. This can also be a issue of hard disk media which might fail.

The same sound appears in my system when I play game or when I search for some files in Windows Explorer. Later on my drive stopped working due to media failure. I got a replacement but lost all my data.

It can be some kind of power management issue. Check your power settings from control panel and set the hard drive never to sleep. If this fix the issue then you must remember this settings. Any sound inside the hard disk can be a result of broken parts or failure. Do not try to replace or repair the same by your own hand. For safety measure you can try to keep a backup ready. Anyhow there is no perfect solution yet which can tell you how to get rid of that sound. Run smart test and see that whether you are getting any kind of errors. If not then you can stay relax unless the sound really grows higher.

There is no use of using those diagnostic tools. Your hard disk will be dead soon. It is the broken part which is making sound which mostly comes due to head crash or spindle. So soon entire thing will be stopped working. Be ready for a replacement.

Try to run certain test. You can use SeaTools for the same. SeaTools offer you to verity the status of your disk and examine errors in it. Keep a eye on the sound status. If that increasing there are chances of hard drive failure.