Thread: Need Replacement advice on Caviar Green WD10EADS

Need Replacement advice on Caviar Green WD10EADS

I have a old hp desktop in which I am using a 500GB Western Digital drive. Suddenly in morning when I started the system it showed me a error saying boot manager is missing. Later on I found that the issue is with the hard drive. The WD smart test showed that the drive failed. Now I am trying to get a replacement for the same. I had a word with hp customer care they said that to restore your system you will need to get the same config hard drive in your system or else the recovery will not work. Now here I am not able to figure out what should I do. For replacement it might take time and I am also not sure that my warranty is pending or not. Other than this I have a another 250GB drive where the customer care guy said that recovery will not work on it.

Re: Need Replacement advice on Caviar Green WD10EADS

It is correct. To run the recovery you need the same config drive in your system. The reason is the number of records in recovery disc are on the base of configuration of hard drive that is used before. The mbr, sectors, etc. So it is recommended that you must wait for the replacement and then go for the recovery.

You can find the status of recovery on the official site of Western Digital. They provide you information on the base of serial number or product number. Or else you can contact the customer service for details. To run the recovery you will need the same disc. You can try this on a other 500GB if you have. OR else there are many image disc viewer that can help you to extract your data out of it one by one. You need to install Windows on any existing drive you have. Then install MagicISO. You can open the image disc in it and extract your data. But you cannot restore your operating system with it.

If the disc is under warranty you can get a replacement for the same. The replacement is not a issue. About the backup are you trying recover the same from a hidden partition or a dvd.

In my view go for the 250Gb drive install Windows on that and then copy paste the data from your recovery disc. If the recovery is stored in the drive partition then you must not waste time. Because if the entire drive stopped working you will loss everything. Connect a new drive and backup your recovery partition. You can for start use some diagnostic tool to check the health of your hard drive. Tools like Hard Disk Sentinel can help you to keep a eye on the drive health status. If the condition is not good you can simply get a new one.

Run a HDD Smart test. And see the number of errors you receive. The higher the number of errors the more chances of hard drive crash.