Thread: Purchasing new Western Digital Hard Drive on the base of HDDScan S.M.A.R.T. Report

Purchasing new Western Digital Hard Drive on the base of HDDScan S.M.A.R.T. Report

I am using a Dell laptop from a year which has a Western Digital drive in it. I had faced some crash issues recently in the laptop. To ensure there is no hardware issue I had run a HDDScan Smart test. It showed a number of errors in the report. So should I purchase a new hard drive or I can ignore this. Thanks.

Re: Purchasing new Western Digital Hard Drive on the base of HDDScan S.M.A.R.T. Report

Run the tool back again and see how much percentage it shows in performance and health. Because after only a certain limit of damage you can aks for a replacement. Till the time you can use it. All you need is to keep a eye on the har drive sectors. You can keep a backup of your data also. Keep scanning at a regular interval of time and if you found more errors you can contact Western Digital to get a replace of the corrupt drive sectors. If you are not satisfied with this report there are many other diagnostic tools that can help you to find the health of your disk. Try to use them also. Hard Disk Sentinel is one more tool that can monitor the hard drive health and temperature. It become easier to predict disk failure if you can try this tool.

Re: Purchasing new Western Digital Hard Drive on the base of HDDScan S.M.A.R.T. Report

You can keep continuing using that. I had used Hard Disk Sentinel tool. It is a nice tool which constantly monitors the drive temperature and guides you about the disk failure.

In my views you must change the drive or get a one more in your laptop for better backup. Because the errors displays bad sectors in your drive and they can be harmful if keeps on accumulated. There can be sudden failure. If the drive is under warranty then you can contact the company to send you a replacement. I am not sure how they deal with a partially working hard drives. The scanner offers you limited information only. You can at start use disk defragmentation to gain some space in the existing drive. If there are large errors then it is recommended to replace this one.

Keep on scanning with HDDScan Smart Report. If the number of errors rises get a new one. Do not rely on the drive you should have a proper backup solution for the same.

SpinRite is one more diagnostic tool for the same purpose. It is a recovery plus maintenance tool for testing drive health. What this tool will do, it will warn you before the drive is going to crash. It also somehow manage to pickup the data parts from a damage drive.

Use Hard Drive Mechanic. It can offer you software level hard drive troubleshooting features. There are two version of this tool. The Gold version offers you to repair crash drives and recover the data. It offers simple hard drive recovery utility that can be used on corrupt sectors. It works from a bootable disc or floppy drive. The tool is quiet easier to use and from the bootable part you can troubleshoot your damage drive without the need of booting in operating system. A very useful utility for every system.