Thread: When ST3500320AS Barracuda bootup an application 'Non-System Disk, Press any key' message appears

When ST3500320AS Barracuda bootup an application 'Non-System Disk, Press any key' message appears

hello friends, I have with myself, ST3500320AS Barracuda and having some issues with it. I was towards the Seagate web site, along with made an download of this utility which is called as ms-sd1a, which will tend to make sure for the updates of your drive. When it will tend to bootup an application is supposed to open, but it will not tend to . after this the next screen will tend to say, 'Non-System Disk, Press any key'. And after doing this one , my system will tend to start up. So I want to inquire in this case that how I am not able to get rid of this Non System disk message . I make use of 'Download SD1A Firmware update utility'. So can you assist in my case.

Re: When ST3500320AS Barracuda bootup an application 'Non-System Disk, Press any key' message appears

In this case , I need to put some more information which wil really help you in your case and It appears that you've updated your drive's firmware to version SD1A, which in turn results in wiping out Dell's hidden HPA. I consider Dell makes use of the HPA for MediaDirect I gues and that could be the possible reason behind it.

Re: When ST3500320AS Barracuda bootup an application 'Non-System Disk, Press any key' message appears

I will suggest that you need to reformat the drive mate, and you need to get rid of any Dell, they only put crud on there so that they are able to catch the novice out so they have to ring a helpline, if you don't have the disc, you need to have a wait for a week or two and purchase Windows 7 and free yourself totally, and then have a search for Novatech . you just show your bios settings so that we will be able to help you further.

in my BIOS,all it says is like this one
    • Boot Order: 500GB on SATA Port 2
    • 320GB on SATA port
    • Cd Rom
    • It is denoting the First Boot device as Hard Drive
    • It is denoting Second Boot device as Hard Drive
    • regarding the Third Boot it all says CD Rom
    • I have Windows 7 Pro on order and making attempts by dual booting. So anyone just help me in my case.

To tell you regarding this case, Dell at times decreases the size of the drive by creating a HPA at the tail end. And I think that this HPA will comprise a Media Direct partition which is invisible to the OS.If you're inquiring about Dell's HPA, you can attempt capturing your drive's MBR along with Track0 to files by making use of MBRtool. make use of a tool like HD Sentinel so that you are able to determine the total number of visible sectors reported by the drive, as well as then compare this number with what you observe in the partition table at the end of the MBR.

I finally solved it and thanks for your replies as I did not even have to reinstall Operating system to have it solved . I made some attempts to boot off my Vista disc, and then make an selection of the Repair your Computer, and then select Command Prompt, then typed in bootrec /fixmbr, and then rebooted and it was all fixed. You need too take a note of one thing that you have to leave a space between the c and / .

If you don't care concerning the data in the HPA, you could make some possible attempts executing a FIXMBR command from the XP Recovery Console.and due to this , there should be replacement of any Dell code in your MBR with original Microsoft code.

I need to add more information as there are several guys which are having similar issues. If you mean the FW for the Barracuda screwed up a unlike SSD, it shouldn't have, the SSD will not tend to match the FW, furthermore the FW would tend to report that there is no drive found iirc. I need to inquire few more questions which will get an idea regarding the topic. So What is the state of play right now? Is the SSD refusing to boot or else is it recognized? And if it does not tend to recognize, you need to switch the ahci setting in the bios back to ide along with observe if the drive shows up.And if it possibly tends to refuse to boot, you need to format it and start over, once Windows loses a file here.

Hello friends, I have founded from some sites and it ahs came to me that you need to have a clean set up, just incase it's a bad file throwing it all in the air, and according to me, I mean that you need to save your data to one drive while cleaning the other two, along with then swap it over and clean the third drive.at any rate, the two Seagate drives should be flashed one at a time and there should be no connection of any drive , once you have both flashed, then you are able to put the system back together. As you are almost certainly making use of AHCI there is also a probability that the O/S isn't configured for it, you are able to regedit this to resolve it.

This issue occurs if the disk driver in Windows 7 as well as Windows Vista is disabled.and to solve this issue you need to se that the driver are enabled before you make some changes to the SATA/RAID mode of the boot drive.

It is necessary in this case to enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you alter the SATA mode of the boot drive. You need to follow these steps to do so.

1. you need to exit all Windows-based programs.
    2. and then you also need to click Start,and then type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, you need to click Continue.
    4. you also need to locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV
    5.you need to right-click Start in the Name column which is presnt in the right pane and then click Modify.
    6. In the Value data box, you need to type 0, furthermore then click OK.
    7. On the File menu, you need to click Exit so that you are able to close Registry Editor.

It has been earlier sated regarding the Non system disk and the reason behind making use of it is because it's trying to boot to another drive, F12, and then make a selection of the drive by name and it should then locate the correct disk, and if there is no O/S on the disk, it means there is no boot.