Thread: Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB keeps on freezing on cold boot

Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB keeps on freezing on cold boot

I have recently bought Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB and have made a fresh installation of windows 7 on the same but then the problem that I am facing is that it keeps on freezing on cold boot and I have to just make do a force shutdown to get rid of it and after that the os boots up properly, is there anyone who can help me out solving this issue??

Re: Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB keeps on freezing on cold boot

I have recently bought Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB and have made a fresh installation of windows 7 on the same but then the problem that I am facing is that it keeps on freezing on cold boot and I have to just make do a force shutdown to get rid of it and after that the os boots up properly, is there anyone who can help me out solving this issue??
    Can you just let me know your system specification so that I can have a better idea of the issue that you are facing, Other than this I just wanted to know that have you made installation of windows 7 with an "image" or cloning the same from some other drive?? Or you have just installed it from a factory original CD? Just answer the same for further help.

Below is my system specification:
    • Alienware M14x Laptop
    • 8 GB RAM
    • Intel Core i7-2820QM
    • NVIDIA 3 GB Video Card

I have installed the windows using Windows 7 Factory CD and have installed the drivers from Alineware Site, the issue seems to be just with cold boot. Is there anything I can do about it??

I just wanted to know the following things:
    • Have you turned off all power management?
    • Is there any other setting in the bios rather than APM / Power management in Windows 7?
    • Have you tried setting up computer to "high performance" and eliminating “hibernate” as well as the “sleep” function??

If you have not tried out the above things then just try it out and then let me know if they are making any difference.

I have already kept those thing disabled, I actually don’t need them, I have set the power button for shutting down the system. I have turned off the power management as well but then I don’t know why it is acting like this, I have checked out in some other forums where some users have mentioned that it freezes on cold but when plugged in and charging but then in my case it does the same when unplugged as well, other than this I have already made sure that I am having the latest driver and the bios as well, it appears as if there is some incompatibility issue as I have tried using the same with SD25 on my old GT 725 and it is appearing to be working fine.

I have been checking out for the same and I have found one user mentioning that he was having the same issue but then later he was able to solve it out, I am not very sure about the solution that he had tried but then you can at least give it a try and see if it is helping.
    • Turn on the system and hit F8 key right before Windows boots
    • When you are able to enter the Windows startup option then just try to use Last Known Good Configuration or go in to the safe mode
    • After that just install the below two Intel drivers/software-

1. Intel Rapid Storage Tech
    2. Intel Management Engine Interface

There are possibilities that it might be interfering with Seagate drive memory operation, just try it out and then post back the result that you get for this solution.

I have tried following the above solution but then it did not helped, anyways I have solved out the issue now and for that I did the following:
    • Reinstalled required Intel Drivers again and not missing the Chipset driver this time
    • Installed the bios update again
    • Turned off the Boot GUI option in msconfig.exe

Since then I have tried performing cold boot several times and I have not faced the same issue again.