Thread: Momentus ST9500420AS Firmware Update question

Momentus ST9500420AS Firmware Update question

hi
    here is my problem I have no issue with my Seagate ST9500420AS HDD and I had the 3sdm1 firmware so I decided to flash to the latest 5sdm1 firmware but as soon as I did that update I noticed that my HDD is now making the loud click sound or something like that , now I was able to here the head of the Hard disc is spinning with was not audible before and now with this update the AAM option is disabled so I would like to know how can I revert back to the previous update 3sdm1 . is there any one here can help me on this I will; be really appreciating this

Re: Momentus ST9500420AS Firmware Update question

I'd prefer to share that my HD make the audible clicking sound when firmware update.... It feels like the platter head is touching one thing. My HD never did this before, they solely park their head and like OP said HD can take it slow to awaken from sleep. however this scares me hell out of me currently. I hadn't bothered with any benchmark application however personally this firmware might not for everybody.

If we are talking about the ST9500420AS, that is not the XT model, and required a unique updater. though I've noticed that Seagate likes to use constant model numbers with incompatible sub models that are terribly tough to identify. I had to switch a Seagate Barracuda raid drive on one amongst my desktops a couple of years ago, however was forced to come what was speculated to be an 'identical' drive from a reputable vendor as a result of it absolutely incompatible variant that wasn't apparent till you tried to use it.

I wouldn't anticipate any issue with Seagate drives. However, any drive with its own built-in sudden motion detection can shows a issue as a result of it conflicts with the SMS built-in to the Mac. you'll should contact Seagate tech support concerning disabling the detector within the drive.

there were 'solutions' along the lines of adjusting the drive behavior in order that the heads never parked and also the drive never spun down. i used to be hoping that some of years down the road there was a way great official update from Seagate or Apple. problems were reported at the time with the ST9500420AS version too; non-G Shock.

you may purchase the Seagate XT 500 Hybrid drive. I've put in many of those and that they work quite well. Hitachi makes wonderful drives as is the Samsung. i am not an huge fan of WD drives, however. I actually have four Hitachi HDP725050GLA360 Media 500 GB drives in my Mac professional. i am unsure if this model continues to be created since I've had these drives nearly 3 years.

I'm still on OS X ten.6.7. Before updating to 10.6.8, I cloned my drive and ran the update to 10.6.8 on the clone for a couple of days. i used to be seeing frequent beachballs when the update, particularly in Safari, the appliance i take advantage of 3/4 of the time, therefore I went back to 10.6.7, and also the beachballs went away. I actually have no plans to upgrade to OS X Lion on this pc.If I decide i actually would like iCloud options before i buy a Mac that was designed for Lion, I will continually get there from the Apple Windows 7 client .