Thread: WD Scorpio Blue HDD parks after few seconds of inactivity

WD Scorpio Blue HDD parks after few seconds of inactivity

Right now I am using Asus laptop which has 2 HDD bays. The OS is installed on Intel 320 Series SSD and apps /data is stored on WD Scorpio 640 GB HDD (WD6400BPVT). The problem is after few of inactivity the drive "parks" or shuts off. But then I try to access a program or data, the laptop freeze for an instant. The resource manager tells that Scorpio Blue drives have a 100% active time. I can hear the sound that drive starting after few seconds. Some fellows told me to use WDIDLE3 but it is only for Caviar green drives. Is there any one for Scorpio Blue?

Re: WD Scorpio Blue HDD parks after few seconds of inactivity

It is normal with these modern disk and you don’t need to worry about that because nowadays disks all tend to park when they are not in use or at idle condition. This mainly to save power. Otherwise I think disk is handling some kind of process or work in the background and it needs to some time to free up.

An error is discovered on Western Digital hard drives that may be causing headaches to many users worldwide and causes abnormal states in these units low-power family. Western Digital hard drives are suffering from a design error caused by an aggressive power-saving feature using a technology called IntelliPark (Idle 3 mode), that to reduce energy consumption positioning heads parked in a certain position and turns off some electronics. The problem is that it does after only 8 seconds of inactivity, causing endless attempts at positioning the head, making the cycle hard on and off idle mode or sleep, causing serious problems.

From Western Digital has said the problem is minor and limited, but still has posted instructions and a utility to correct the problem by adjusting IntelliPark's Timer
    • Download the ISO image WDIDLE3 and burn it to a CD / DVD.
    • Ensure your SATA controller that is set to IDE mode from the BIOS.
    • Boot from the CD / DVD, It should take you Into DOS.
    • In DOS prompt, type: "wdidle3 / S300" to change the default timer from 8 seconds to 300 seconds (5 minutes).
    • In DOS prompt, type: "wdidle3 / R" to verify the results.''

Currently I have 2 drives which are of same model and that go automatically to a state of 'sleep' when system no longer reads or writes to them. When I return, it takes a few seconds before starting to transmit data, because the engine needs to get to top speed. Instead, I have another of the same make-Western Digital-something older that is always revolutionized' and heated much more logically, but with the advantage of faster access, because he is always ready.

As far as I know that each and every one WD external HDDs to stop spinning after 10 seconds of inactivity. Once the drive is accessed over again, the player will turn off the power saving mode. This is a stable feature of most of external HDDs and cannot be disabled. The WD external contain the WD SmartWare software which can be used to modify and / or disable this feature.

The laziness is that that more technology advances, more errors are everywhere. But sometimes I don’t think that the issue is dependent on the advancement of technology. It depends on the wars in consumption. To innovate, do not divide quality control and why these things happen. If you take the time to test products better, these things would not happen.