Thread: Western Digital WD10JPVT-00A1YT0 stops working when not in use for sometime

Western Digital WD10JPVT-00A1YT0 stops working when not in use for sometime

I am having a Western Digital WD10JPVT-00A1YT0 and the problem that I am facing is that when I am connecting the same through USB 2.0 box to my computer then it is not stopping if it is left unused for sometimes, where as I am having a WD7500BPVT-22HXZT1 and I am connecting it in the same way and it stops working when not in use after sometime, is there anyone who has an idea about this???

Re: Western Digital WD10JPVT-00A1YT0 stops working when not in use for sometime

I am having a Western Digital WD10JPVT-00A1YT0 and the problem that I am facing is that when I am connecting the same through USB 2.0 box to my computer then it is not stopping if it is left unused for sometimes, where as I am having a WD7500BPVT-22HXZT1 and I am connecting it in the same way and it stops working when not in use after sometime, is there anyone who has an idea about this???
    I just wanted to know that have you tried out following basic things:
    • Try using Ext2 and NTFS on WD10JPVT-00A1YT0
    • Try running dlg diagnostics to check if there is something wrong with the drive itself
    • You can try out writing zeros and checking out if the issue is still there after partitioning and formatting

If you have not yet tried out these things then try it out and then post back the result that you get.

I have got the following result:
    • I have tried using Ext2 and NTFS on WD10JPVT-00A1YT0, doing this did not made any difference
    • I have tried running dlg diagnostics and extending the TEST and SMART as well and the result was ok
    • I have not tried out writing zeros as I have heard that it can kill HDD, are you quite sure it will help???

Is there anything else that I can try out???

I think that you might have misunderstood something, I mean that writing zeros won’t be killing HDD but then it will help you out in wiping out residual partitioning scheme on the drive if it is there, so just try out the same, I have found some people facing issue with the formatting because of the residual data but then if you still don’t want to try out the same then I can just suggest you to claim for an replacement or contact the tech support and see what they have to say about the same.

Ok, so now I have tried writing zeros just to check out if there was any residual partitioning scheme on the drive but then I don’t think that it was there, so even writing zeros have not helped, I have kept the replacement option for the last one, if there is any other workaround that I can try out for solving this issue then please let me know, any further help for this will be highly appreciated.

In that case I just wanted to know the following things:
    • Which platform you are using? I mean linux or windows??
    • If windows then have you tried turning off the indexing service??
    • If it is linux check out if there is indexing drives there for a faster access, if it is there then try turning it off

Just try out the above possible solution for the respected platform and then let me know what you get.

I just wanted to know that have you tried out disconnecting the data cable from computer for a while and then connecting it again and checking out if it is making any difference, and just let me know the platform as well so that I can have a better idea of the issue that you are facing.