Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Getting BSOD with new hard drive

Hardware Peripherals

Old 24-03-2012

Getting BSOD with new hard drive

Bought a new gateway computer system with windows Vista installed in it. Worked well for next few months but then suddenly the system crashed by giving me a blue screen of death and was unable to turn on, in fact I also didnít allow me to reinstall windows OS and ultimately the hard drive crashed and physically broke.

Now I bought a new hard drive and when I try to install windows xp home it still gives me the same BSOD. I am totally clueless what exactly should I do now. Do I need to update the BIOS or something?

Old 24-03-2012

Re: Getting BSOD with new hard drive

I guess you will have to surely perform some sort of hard tests:
You could download a UBCD from web and then burn it to a disk or you can also download memtest86+ from the official site of memtest and then burn it disk. By doing either of the way you are going to run a memtest on your system.
Old 24-03-2012

Just follow the below steps, you could definitely sort out your issue using this trick:
  • First of all make sure that your BIOS is set to SATA as IDE
  • If it is already set, then you has to load the SATA driver by pressing F6 whenever asked
  • The new drive will be SATA2, make sure that the motherboard supports SATA2
Old 24-03-2012

Instead of memtest I would better suggest you to download a UBCD as it contains all the required tools. Downloading a diagnostic software surely help the people facing a BSOD issue.

In your case it seems to be a hardware issue. for your knowledge let me tell you that the main job of a Blue Screen of Death is to protect your OS from getting crash or something but as in your case your OS is freshly installed I am sure there is something worng with the hardware and not anything else.
Old 25-03-2012

Just follow the below steps, you could definitely sort out your issue using this trick:
  • First of all make sure that your BIOS is set to SATA as IDE
  • If it is already set, then you has to load the SATA driver by pressing F6 whenever asked
  • The new drive will be SATA2, make sure that the motherboard supports SATA2

TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Tags: , , , ,