Thread: Is it worth to go for 1Tb WD20EARX on Raid or NAS

Is it worth to go for 1Tb WD20EARX on Raid or NAS

I need some early advice here. I want to setup a Raid or Nas setup in my office. Rightnow I have a desktop system which has 500GB hard drive and a 80GB old ide drive connected. I had installed my operating system on the 80GB space and the left 500GB is for data. Now due to some data backup my 500GB has gone out of space. This is the first time I had setup backup. I need a dedicated option to setup backup via Raid or Nas. After searching a number of time I found that it would be favorable to use a 1TB hard drive. Now my doubts are either to use this directly in the system or setup a external enclosure. I do not want to move my old content. I had get a good Sata 3.0 controller for this. Is this all stuff better or there is a cheaper alternative. Thanks.

Re: Is it worth to go for 1Tb WD20EARX on Raid or NAS

For both setups you will need some extra hardware upgrades. Like for Raid you will need a good raid card and for Nas a better enclosure. It does not really matter which is better here. You can go with anyone of your choice. I will advice you to choose the one which you can manage more easily.

Go with Nas in my view. The reason is movability. Somehow if you need to move your data to some other place or need to use the drive for any purpose then you do not need to dismantle everything. You can plug out the nas enclosure and more it to wherever you want. I have a 1TB Nas enclosure at my home where I had kept all my videos and music. I had configured that with Xbox and stream the media out of it. It is really economical. And in future you can also add more number of drives if needed. If you go for a raid then there is limitation for drive connectivity. A good nas enclosure comes with this own operating system. So the configuration becomes much more easier. And as they are external devices you can move i t anywhere you want. I hav a D-Link DNS-323-1TB 1TB ShareCenter 2-Bay Network Storage. This enclosure offer me 2x bays and raid support with it. Also I can configure a usb print server on it.

If you just want to have a proper data backup then go for raid setup. It is easier. A raid card is much more cheaper than a nas controller. And the configuration is also simple.

You are not able to understand. Nas devices comes with inbuilt raid setup. So it more logical to buy a nas device. It is right that if you just go for a dedicated raid card then it is cheaper and configuration is also simple. It is plain for data backup work. You cannot do much on that. Raid setup can be done from Intel disk manager and once the configuration done the data data backup is scheduled. NAS drives are costly and some of them also provide wifi and print support. So go on web and have a look on various models. It is possible you can find a cheaper alternative for the same.

Go for a raid card. I am using a one in my system for some months and it works nicely. There is no need to worry about the data one you automate your setup for backup.

1TB drive offers you nice space. And surely putting that on raid unless you have really very large amount of backup is worthless. If you have a smaller drive you can try to put that on raid for minimal data backup while with the help of a nas drive you can setup your own media server.