Thread: Kingston DataTraveler 3G 4GB error: Format Failed

Kingston DataTraveler 3G 4GB error: Format Failed

Recently my friend gave me this USB driver and asked me to check it by myself. He told that it is giving various kinds of errors when copying file into it. He was running Windows XP. Now I am running Windows 7 x64. I connected the USB to my computer and then system pops up a message saying that the "Fix Removable Media". I ticked the "Attempt to recover bad Sectors" box as well. The progress started and after 2 minutes it closed. Now the drive showed up in My computer but as a FAT32 format. It didn’t display the free memory. I tried to format it again but I got "Format Failed" error. What is wrong with this drive?

Re: Kingston DataTraveler 3G 4GB error: Format Failed

The error points to a broken stick. Try it on another computer. If that cannot either turn away at the disposal of your choice or the dealer / manufacturer, if still guarantee / warranty on it.

I have read several users who are blocked from writing the flash drive as a contribution I will tell how to fix it, I resolved manually, I have not yet determined whether the problem is caused by a Trojan or a virus, but the problem is solved by putting hand in the register
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> System -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> StorageDevicePolicies
    Where it says WriteProtect policy value 1 to 0, so will deactivate the write protection, that would solve the problem.

My personal opinion is that you have gotten a virus on the pendrive. If this is not the case the recommended program called "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool" and according to pcworld website and its license is free too and you can download from that page. Also one more thing to say that the FAT32 format only supports up to 4 GB data transfers. If you are getting 8GB or more, then better format it to NTFS.

Maybe your computer had a short time and putting it burned down it has no solution but maybe you moved it into something else. We recommend you reinstall the drivers by searching Google for Kingston Data Travel Drivers and model. The model is very important because each model has different drivers but if that does not mean that you will read only burn but you cannot access your files.
    Alternatively try an Ubuntu Live CD and use Gparted to format. I am sorry to say, but it has saved me many times, especially when I had to convert my hard drive from FAT32 to NTFS formatting, but without losing any data.

The solution is to format directly from windows to FAT32...

If still the problem, you would have to low level format with any software Kingston.

Now if your problem is making you double click the info you will not be able to recover, getting off this program and probably "Data Doctor Recovery Pen Drive" can save you something. Once you've saved your info format