Thread: Windows Explorer freezes Due to External Hard Drive

Windows Explorer freezes Due to External Hard Drive

I am having some issues with my external hdd which wants to be fixed as soon as possible. Can you just assist me in my case. so to tell you regarding the same , if I go into My Computer and plug in my Western Digital Elements 2TB external HD, there is freezing of Windows Explorer taking place.in addition to this , I need to unplug the HD to make it unfreeze. When I make some attempts booting up the system with the HD which is previously plugged in, the system will not be able to boot at all.The HD is not tending to show up in My Computer or else Disc Manager, but it will tend to show up in Device Manager. I made hard attempts regarding the TestDisk guide in this matter, but no partitions showed up in step G. afterward I made some more attempts regarding this topic, but after I made a selection about the "Advanced" in step D in post 4, the single alternative that showed up on the next screen was "Quit."It's worked flawlessly for more than a few months, and this happened for no clear cause. It's behaving like this on two unlike computers, together running with windows Vista. So can you make assumptions which will solve your issue and I need a quick response in this topic. Thanks in advance.

re: Windows Explorer freezes Due to External Hard Drive

After reading twice a times , it was clear about your issue and as I know some similar problems which were arising in most of the cases, I need to tell you regarding this one that either bad drive or else bad electronics would be the issue. you can also try with a unlike cable just to rule that out.

The above solution is well and good but it tends not to work at some conditions. So assuming if the above solution does not work , at this point you could attempt as well as remove the drives from the enclosure to rule out the drive electronics but while doing this step , you will face some severe complications on a number of of these fields. They're not for all time easy to open.

You are saying it right. But if you have some further ideas regarding the same as this thing was absolutely not supposed to be opened. No screws anywhere. I actually don't wish for to create cutting it open unless that's my final alternative. If you have other options you can still make some more assumptions.

I have some more information which wile b helpful in your case and if you required to rule out the electronics in the field you'd require to make a removal of the drive(s) in addition to make a connection with them to either an additional enclosure or else make an installation of them in your system . and if it’s not possible for you to make some more changes, then you could attempt a SATA to IDE adapter so that it is able to get it to work in your system.

You can have an another external enclosure in this case, and in addition to this , I need to tell you that of course if the drive has failed there is always a data recovery. And as you are having WD external drives since they don't tend to have fans or else an on/off switches, the tow things that add a lot of life to an external drive will be of great use.

I am also with the same issues and I am currently running vista 64. I am currently having a WD 1TB network drive. It will tend to freeze up my system when I attempt to shutdown, and restart as well as sleep. I've made some attempts for restoring the factory defaults on the drive two times at present losing all my data and it occurs for all the time.

Lately, I re-mapped the drive along with left reconnect at login unchecked . I'm thinking vista is attempting to communicate with the device which will tend to cause the system to crash.I don't suppose it’s somewhat to do with the electronics of the WD drive- vista for the use of a improved set of words- is a small bit .

I also had the same issues and as per I searched this topic on net , it came to me that ever since i did that virus scan i am not able to access it, and it will tend to just freeze my whole system and the windows explorer which tends to force me to shut down the system, i am not able to right click, to simply format it since it freezes, I am also with some issues that i am not able to detect the hard drive in device manager, nor can I am able to detect it in Disc Manager and this is the same case and it just freezes the program, i am not able to format it at all even with EASEUS Partition Master 8.0.1 it just freezes the program, I am not having any ideas and not much concerns in this issue and i am trying that TestDisk program but that has seemed to freeze as well.

I just wanted to make some general discussions and i think the lone alternative for this external hard drive is the bin tbh and make some backup of all the data on that external and i didn't made any hope in the 1st place with my data.

I made some verification of that the USB HD existed in Device Manager along with that there were no errors in this case. in addition with this, I ran the TestDisk utility ( TestDisk - CGSecurity) and made some verification that the partition was all right . I could as well browse into the folders that had been saved by making use of that utility. I in conclusion ran Windows ChkDsk within DOS and it detected along with fixed more than a few file errors.After the ChkDsk completed I was able to effectively open the "My Computer" browser along with access the files as well as folders on the USB HD.

Re: Windows Explorer freezes Due to External Hard Drive

I am pleased you did the correct thing but this was a warning and I propose you to make a replacement of the drive since what you did at present is a basic "bandaid" and the drive almost certainly doesn't have long to live once this type of thing happens.