Thread: Remapping of HDD Bad Blocks

Remapping of HDD Bad Blocks

AS far as I know that the CHKDSK runs a surface scan and remaps a bad block. But does anyone know where these remap written? Is it to the drive's electronics or somewhere else in the OS? I think that it will store in the drive's own firmware table and table remains intact when HDD is used with some other computer. The same thing might be happening for comparable utilities in Linux and xBSD? Am I right? Do you think that the Acronis can remap sectors?

I would like to get any bootable utilities, which are capable to do a sector by sector scan and remap bad blocks. It should not affect the whole drive. Is there any such which is independent on OS?

Re: Remapping of HDD Bad Blocks

As far as I know that the chkdsk works at the filesystem level in HDD. If the chkdsk does not able to read a particular block, it simply marks that block as a bad block. So there is no way the filesystem try to use it in the future.

If you are looking for an alternative tool for reading or remapping bad block, you may try DLG boot disk.

The thing is Current Pending Sector Count SMART parameters are extremely critical parameter and it will help you to notify the number of unstable sectors (waiting for remapping). The raw values define total number of sectors waiting for remapping. Once the sectors are read successfully, the value will be decreased. If any error occurs, the HDD will try to restore the data by moving it to the reserved disk area (spare area). This is what we called remapped sector.

As far as I know that there are no ways you can fix Bad sectors. The only way is remapping to spare sectors. I think that this process happens automatically but sometimes not. So far I didn’t use the HDD regenerator but before hand I tried the trust data lifeguard and HDTune. The HDtune is very useful to show the SMART status of the drive. If there everything is fine, then there is no problem with your driver.

Who is the manufacturer of your hard drive, look at the website of the manufacturer, they always have special tools to scan / repair their hard drives. Or you can try Norton Utilities. It will not remove bad sectors, mark them so that no data can be written, making any data loss or malfunction of the software. If the physical damage, sectors can be made only to be ignored, so they are not written in the future, you cannot use any software to do something physically broken to fix.

For this kind of issue, I think that rarely, the low level format (LL) is required. It cannot use DOS Commands, but only with special tools to be carried out. In Low level format, it is important to make sure that you get the right Format program used (mostly by the disk manufacturer). Other software for low-level formatting deletes under the circumstances of Bad Sector Map and other important information (e.g. ZBR entries). Due to this a HDD are permanently disabled or their capacity can shrink extremely. LL format will only be used if a hard disk with the normal DOS format is no longer accessible.