Thread: WD Caviar Green WD30EZRX Load/unload Cycle count getting very High

WD Caviar Green WD30EZRX Load/unload Cycle count getting very High

I don’t know whether it is really a problem or not. Few days ago my computer got a brand new WD30EZRX from WD. Now it seems to me like it has bad problem. The load/unload cycle count more than what I expected. It is already at 7474. The model is Caviar Green. The previous Caviar Black was only at 200-250. I didn’t copy any files on it from past 2 days but still the cycle getting bigger and bigger. It is really unbelievable.

Re: WD Caviar Green WD30EZRX Load/unload Cycle count getting very High

I really don’t believe it because the WD drives are designed for energy efficiency. This is done partly by the fact that the heads parked (discharged) are unnecessary and electronics are turned off, allowing for significant energy savings. WD refers to this mode as "idle 3" (inactive 3).

It also happens to me with folders that contain many elements: I click on the folder and there is evident for several seconds. Instead of accessing the folder through links created previously, you do not notice lag. It does not happen with any other type of hard drives, even USB. Try also made with the same folder you copied the Caviar Green and another disk. Personally I find it rather strange.

Some utilities, operating systems and applications, such as some Linux implementations are not optimized for memory devices with low power consumption. This means that WD drives will more often than planned to start operation again. This increases the power consumption of a low current consumption developed drives such as WD's GreenPower models, and increases the number of cycles. The increase of cycles is indeed within the normal values, it can be a balance between the life of a product, the logging requirements and a low power consumption can be prepared, depending what important for the system. The current values were normalized SMART not renormalized to 1 million cycles. This message has reason to attribute this not indicate a malfunction of the product.

The number of systems that use these applications and utilities is limited, and customers can resolve this symptom by optimizing their systems by choosing according to their requirements. Disable the advanced power management with a SATA command (requires a higher current consumption, since all modes are turned off with low power consumption results, however, means that there are no longer charging and discharging cycles). Linux users, add the following: (hdparm-B 255 / dev / sdX, where "X" is your hard drive). Users can deactivate ATA APM, which is usually controlled by the BIOS or the operating system.

UNC = uncorrectable, i.e. sectors do not have the correct checksum, which only sometimes is not so bad, because the disk then reads the data from the sectors and the checksum rewrites, but that did not work here.

Most customers on their systems alerted unnecessary activity due to their utilities, operating system or its applications changed so that they use the WD advanced power-saving mode. Other customers have requested a utility to change the behavior of the drive so that will wait longer before the mode is called "Idle 3". If such a change, significant power savings is not used at idle.

My WD10EADS was reached after about 1300 hours of operation of an LCC than 24,000. WD, there are only a lifespan of 300,000 LCC, I would have reached after about 2 years while the HDD is only about 8 per day - 10 hours in Operation. The HDD will not give up the safe 300.001ten LCC, but it's just the magnitude. The problem is actually only on some Linux systems - for me it's the NAS. But still I assume that the problem is not independent of the OS, it is actually not a defect: the parking of the heads to reduce energy consumption and is shipped in 8 seconds after the last access. In Windows, it is probably not a problem, but Linux does every few seconds or minutes to the HDD.