Thread: What are SSD's Power and Cache protection features

What are SSD's Power and Cache protection features

This is some what not noticed by anyone. There is a bit issue which I had seen on some discussion. I want to know that does SSD are equipped with some sort of backup stuff which can help them to secure loss occurred from power failure or cache. This can be really a nice add-on for SSD drives. For regular drives there are certain chips which deal the same. What about SSD's.

Re: What are SSD's Power and Cache protection features

Yes there I think. I had seen some articles which showed up dedicated chips which are meant to perform those action. But this is not available in every SSd. They use sdram for cache mapping. There are ample of capacitors which help the drives to keep on for longer time and complete all the functions on it.

That really matters. If you have a better power loss protection on a drive then there are chances that your data is more secure. This also effect the performance of a drive. Power loss allows continuous failure of operation carried on the drive. Also it can affect the data. So the capacitors which are used in drives disallow sudden power loss when connected to a system unless the task is completed. This power loss protection is also added on many other hardware devices. So next time when you are out to buy a ssd do not forget to have a look on the specification. This drives are kind of safer for server and notebooks.

There is a tool called as Intel SSD Toolbox 3.0. This is used for tuning and protection for SSDs. It is a kind of analysis software which comes with gui and offer you to import and update your ssd firmware. This also increase your drive speed by optimizing the TRIM command that deletes data as possible without recoverable residues and determined on the basis of diagnostic scans condition of your SSD. So if you have SSD in your system then you can give a try to this tool. Intel Solid State Drive Toolbox is free and can be used in conjunction with all hard drives and SSDs, however, the functionality of the tool is usually very limited, if you do not have SSD from Intel in the computer. That is only drawback of this tool.

Data protection is a kind of features that allows ssd to handle sudden data lost in case of power failure. I am not able to really understand how this works, but is good for the drives.

I had seen a ssd by kingstone which comes with some card data security. This new new SSDs benefit from the latest Sand-force controllers. This controllers are equipped with preservation technology of flash storage which help the drive to handle various loss issue. With protection tool you have your data encrypted.