Thread: Western Digital passport hard disk doesn’t mount

Western Digital passport hard disk doesn’t mount

I have a WD passport hard disk with me which I have been using for past 2 months. First it was working fine but now it has started giving me problems. I have some important data on it which I need. When I plug the hard disk in the PC, it is detected by the system and the autorun of the disk is initialized. But when I go in My Computer to open the disk, it is not shown in it. I tried accessing it by using the direct shortcut in Run from start, but I get an error message saying that this location doesn’t exist. Can anybody tell me why it is happening? Is it because of some changes in settings that I have made or is it an error of the hard disk?

Re: Western Digital passport hard disk doesn’t mount

The WD passport hard disks are known to have bad USB conductors. Have you tried using a different USB cable to see if the problem doesn’t lie in the USB cable or connectors of hard disk or your system? You can download WD diagnostics from their website and you can run it on the drive. If there is any problem, it will detect the problem and prompt you to repair it. The repairing will include downloading of drivers for the hard disk. See to it, that you provide proper model number and other details or else it won’t perform proper diagnostics on your device. If you are so keen on recovering data and if you are planning to hand it over to data recovery agency then WD passport hard disk uses DIY route technology. It doesn’t have Sata plus encryption which makes it more difficult and expensive to recover lost data.

After running the diagnostic, if the relocated sector count shows only one flag red and other further down it, then it is confirmed that there is some problem in hard disk. This could be caused due to bad sector in the drive or weak heads Pro Gear may not be able to get an image of the drive causing failure in reading the data. If you want to try DIY download scan, then run it on demo scan, that is on a small sector of the hard disk. If no problem is detected then you can do a full scan.

I can’t tell you what might be wrong with your hard disk, but I can suggest you to use Data Rescue 3 for recovery of important data. It can retrieve data from hard disks that have problem detecting the data image or has problem of bad sectors. It can also retrieve the deleted data on the disk. Also it is safe to use since it does not affect any core files of the system. It is used by government organizations and military organizations to recover lost data.

You can use DiskWarrior 4 to recover the lost data. It is one of the safest data recovery software and one of the most powerful one. It also arranges the unordered keys on the hard disk in a proper order for proper functioning. It helps in eliminating invalid node structures which causes loss in performance of hard disk. It is not a disk repairing software. It is just data recovery software, but when working on a disk when a bad sector or directory is detected, it will search in the online database for accurate replacement option. This replacement is done for bad directories. It builds a completely new directory over the old corrupt or damaged ones.

Disk drill is software that you can use to recover lost data. It is helpful for recovering data from HFS/HFS+, FAT, NTFS & other file systems. It can recover any kind of data from almost every kind of data storage disks.