Thread: Getting SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0: error on my Laptop

Getting SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0: error on my Laptop

Hello friends, I have recently getting following message in my laptop, having Windows XP Professional installed. Even given in instruction to press F1 then when pressing it then brings blue screen where it scans your drive for errors. Well it has found nothing for some time, so due to which I have to skip. Well did not noticed anything, but this is very much annoying to have it and which is been coming every time I turn on the computer. Having Intel Pentium M 725 processor, 80GB HDD, 512MB DDR2 RAM. So anyone knows anything then please tell me about it. Thank you.

Code:
    SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0: WDC WD800UE-22HCT0-(PM)
    Warning: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.
    Press F1 to continue

Re: Getting SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0: error on my Laptop

If you are getting this error then it is indication that the drive is about to fail what the error message is telling, when it comes then sometimes your drive will be working for small amount of time. I would suggest that you better go to Western Digital Website and download some of their tool to make bootable floppy and test the drive. It is be helpful and also will be working out.

Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology is never been same thing as doing drive testing, so there might be difference in results. Let me tell you that it is actually part of drive electronics and it might be tested somewhat by the manufacturer’s diagnostics tools. SMART monitors and report the change in some of drive characteristics over time like spin up time, read errors, power on cycles, etc. to find out how much wear and tear has on it and allocate every a value. It is comparing your drive to a database of failures rates to calculate when it will wear out. It does not actually test the drive in the true sense of word. Iit is been base on that error message implies that there is not of necessity anything wrong with your drive at present but figures show most drives in this condition fail soon replace it.

If it has happened with me then I might have replaced the drive. Well it is really important to recognize smart output which is prediction based on long term statistics and diagnostics and it is simply a snapshot of drive condition at the moment of test and it does not recognize what its condition will be next time test is run. Well even you can disable smart monitoring in bios and it is been allow by some of drive manufacturer’s utilities to enable/disable it through there maintenance settings.

Mostly each reported value is having a definite threshold level which is a maximum value. Once you begin getting those thresholds, then SMART will tell you that the recorded error the drive is having is hitting offensive levels. A lot of times people do not get the opportunities to receive a SMART warning, such as catastrophic spontaneous failures occur. If you are receiving SMART caution then you supposed to without doubt take note of them, as you are lucky sufficient to have some time before catastrophic failure. I would like to say that, problems that are noticed with chkdsk and scandisk are to the data stored on the drive only and SMART errors are actual errors the drive itself is having and taking note of. It is not at all a question of if a drive fails, but when.

The threshold will differ among manufacturers and also in within their models, well it also depends on which SMART parameters it is. Actually there is no way to modify the threshold. Let me add that SMART is an internal function of the drive, Operating System and BIOS only query the drive at the hardware level for rank. This might be a warning which might be approaching drive failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi-Baba View Post
    Hello friends, I have recently getting following message in my laptop, having Windows XP Professional installed. Even given in instruction to press F1 then when pressing it then brings blue screen where it scans your drive for errors. Well it has found nothing for some time, so due to which I have to skip. Well did not noticed anything, but this is very much annoying to have it and which is been coming every time I turn on the computer. Having Intel Pentium M 725 processor, 80GB HDD, 512MB DDR2 RAM. So anyone knows anything then please tell me about it. Thank you.

Code:
    SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0: WDC WD800UE-22HCT0-(PM)
    Warning: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.
    Press F1 to continue
    I am also having the issue, but I am getting it on My Dell Laptop, so what to do and if there any special suggestion about it then please tell me thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by S.I.K View Post
    I am also having the issue, but I am getting it on My Dell Laptop, so what to do and if there any special suggestion about it then please tell me thank you.
    Your hard drive is failing you need to get a backup of important files ASAP and replace the drive. Don't do diagnostics on it until you get the data copied off to another drive the less stress the better?