Thread: Why WD My Book Live working slow?

Why WD My Book Live working slow?

Recently I have purchased My Book Live 1TB Home Network Drive. I was in the process of backing up the date from iMac which is about of 260GB. Well I am utilizing Time Machine as well as Wireless router. It took around 9 hours to back up 80GB of data. Can you tell me why above mentioned problem is happening? Also let me know if are having particular solution to boost the speed.

Re: Why WD My Book Live working slow?

As you are using Wireless connection hence it supposed to be quite slow. If you are looking to have higher speed than you should connect MBL and Mac to Gigabit port on the router of yours.

Well I have noticed the above mentioned thing quite useful into the situation of mine. if you are supposed to copy number of small files then you will get the transfer speed quite slow. As the operating system installed on the computer would require to do for every single file you are supposed to transfer. Apparently I slows down the total transfer rate of the data. However if you are going to copy large file then you will be able to get maximum transfer speed.

After going through the problem of yours I think standard speed of MBL is supposed to be enough for funerary procession. There many people who are saying that you will be able to get the satisfactory result you attach Cat5 cable, if you are using an Ethernet connection then you will be able to get 60-70 MBytes/s. there is no sense to complete about the slow speed of wireless network. According to me there is an issue with the wireless connection or router which you are using. So work out on them as well.

If you are making use of USB2 then you will be able to get the maximum speed of 29MB/s. since the data throughput has been controlled by the USB2 Interface. For USB3 scenario you will be able to get 39MB/s. it sounds really great as MBL supposed to write on that speed only. You will be able to get high speed when you are using big files and I think there is no chance of getting while writing the files. Hence I am sure about that router is having number of bottleneck. Second thing which I wanted to tell you that try to increase the MTU size on the computer. in simple term you will need to tweak Ethernet connection.

Could be something wrong happen with the device itself. So I recommend to contact the technical support team and get the further help on the same.

ThumbsUp Re: Why WD My Book Live working slow?

I had soooooo much hair pulling out with this ... so here is what I ended up doing ..

I am running Vista 32 bit .. I have updated my Network card drivers over the few years ... I just uninstalled the updates after downloading the original ones from Dell... and reinstalled them ... I now can transfer at Mega speeds... through my D-Link 655 router .. I wish I had done this ages ago ...

Just a solution that worked for me :-)