Thread: unable to access western digital elements 1023 External Hard Drive

unable to access western digital elements 1023 External Hard Drive

I am using 1TB western digital elements hard drive and it was working like a charm. Now suddenly it has started giving me problems. Now whenever I connect hard drive with my computer at that time it does not appear in my computer. When I click on safe to remove icon on system tray at that time I can see drive letter. Please help me to solve this problem.

Re: unable to access western digital elements 1023 External Hard Drive

I will suggest you try this solution to solve this problem. Download Foldersizes Pro from internet and after downloading that you have to run it in your computer. Now after that you have to see whether your external drive appears or not? If you cannot see your external hard drive then you have to wait for some time. Once your hard drive appears then you have to right click on that and then you have to select scan for largest file. After doing that you have to wait till it finishes the scan. It may take long time to complete the scan. I have tried this solution and with the help of this i was able to access my contents.

You should connect your western digital elements 1023 External Hard Drive with different computer and after connecting it with different computer you have to check whether you are getting same problem or not?

You should run Linux based LiveCD in your computer and after running the Linux based LiveCD you have to check whether you are able to access the content of your western digital elements 1023 External Hard Drive. Try this solution it may be helpful for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Faiyaz9 View Post
    You should run Linux based LiveCD in your computer and after running the Linux based LiveCD you have to check whether you are able to access the content of your western digital elements 1023 External Hard Drive. Try this solution it may be helpful for you.
    I totally agree with this. All you need to do is connect your hard drive with your computer and then you have to restart your computer and then Go to the BIOS setting in your PC. Now you have to set the CD ROM as first boot device. After that you have to put Linux based LiveCD and then reboot your PC again. Once you reach at desktop after that you have to try to access your hard drive contents.

There was similar problem occurred with my WD HDD and after trying all the possible solution also same problem was occurring. Now after that I have replaced me WD HDD. Now with my new HDD I am facing problem. When I connect my HDD with my PC it works fine for some time and then it gets disconnected randomly. Please tell me what I should do to solve this problem.

This problem can occurs because of the USB power options. You should go to the device manager and then you have to right click on USB root hub devices after expanding USB controllers. Now you have to select properties. Click on power management tab. Uncheck power saving option. now after that click on OK. After trying this steps check whether your problem gets solved or not?

Are you using USB HUB for connecting your HDD with your computer? If yes then you have connect HDD directly with your computer and then check whether your HDD still connects randomly or not? You should also check your HDD by connecting it with rear USB ports.

Disabling the power option has solved my problem. After referring your solution I have open device manger and then open the USB root hub properties and then disabled the power option from the power management tab and then problem get solved.