Thread: Getting "Intitialization Error" when trying to use webcam of laptop runnig on windows vista

Getting "Intitialization Error" when trying to use webcam of laptop runnig on windows vista

I am having a laptop that is running on windows vista and the problem that I am facing now is that when I am trying to use webcam then I am getting an error message saying the following:
    "Intitialization Error"
    "Error initializing camera"
    "Webcam in use by another application" (No applications running)

Is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about solving out the issue.

Re: Getting "Intitialization Error" when trying to use webcam of laptop runnig on windows vista

I am having a laptop that is running on windows vista and the problem that I am facing now is that when I am trying to use webcam then I am getting an error message saying the following:
    "Intitialization Error"
    "Error initializing camera"
    "Webcam in use by another application" (No applications running)
    Is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about solving out the issue.
    I am having the same issue and with LifeCam VX-1000 as well as Logitech QuickCam for Notebooks, by now I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the camera applications and drivers thinking that it will help but then they are no6t making any difference and I am still getting the same error message that has been mentioned about, I have checked out the device manager it is reporting that the "Device working properly" and also shows the same for the corresponding USB driver. I don’t know what is the issue all about, is there anything else that I can try out to get it working???

Re: Getting "Intitialization Error" when trying to use webcam of laptop runnig on windows vista

I have tried out the same and other than this I have also tried updating the drivers as well but then the LifeCam in my case says that the driver is up to date, by now I have tried out the below solutions but then they have just not helped:
    • Have made a clean boot and have disabled all the non-MS services
    • Tried switching to different usb ports
    • Tried uninstalling application and drivers

Is there any other solution that I can try out to fix this out???

Before I suggest you something about the same I just wanted to know the specification of your system so I can have a better idea of the issue that you are facing, if you want then you can refer to the below trouble shooting guide and see if it is helping or not.
    Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows

Hey thanks for your interest I have followed the guide that is in the link above but then it was not to be much of help, is there anything other workaround that I can try out to get it working rather than taking it to the service center, here is my system, specification:
    Dell Latitude D830
    • Intel (R) Core (TM) Duo CPU T7250 @ 2ghz 2ghz
    • 4G ram
    • 32 Bit
    • Vista Business Service Pack 2

Any further help for the same will be highly appreciated.

Even I have tried out the above guide but then it really did not helped, and moving one step further I have tried out the below things as well:
    • Reinstalling flash
    • Updating DirectX
    • Updating the Intel chipset

No matter what solutions I have tried so far, none of them is making any difference, if anyone finds a solution for this then please post it here, it will be very helpful.

I am not very sure but then one was having the same issue that you both are facing and he had mentioned that the below solution had helped him out, if you want then you can try pout the same and see if it is helping:
    • First Open the regedit
    • After that Open the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{6BDD1FC6-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}
    • Now check out the value of UpperFilters and make sure it contains ksthunk line. If not then add the same.

There are possibilities that it might be missing or have been replaced, anyways just try out the same and then post back the result that you get.

I think that he might be lucky with the solution because I have tried out the same and it was already ksthunk in my case but then I did modified it again with ksthunk and then tried to use the webcam again but then it has not made any effect, I am thinking of trying out reinstalling windows, will lwt others know if is solve out the issue.

I have been using Hp G62 notebook model A24sz which is running on windows 7 and has a built in webcam, everything was working fine by now but then I don’t know what went wrong with it suddenly and now when I am trying to use the same then I am getting the error message that has been mentioned above, I have tried following the solution of the registry but then in my case I am not getting:
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{6BDDlFC6-810F-llD0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}
    In the REGEDIT I have found the following:
    ([Settings]
    RegDevLog=C:\System.Sav\RegDev.Log

[IgnoredDevices]
    ;Not to flag the 2 Com Ports below. OS creates (and disables) these for Non-ACPI HAL.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ROOT\*PNP0501\1_0_17_0_0_0
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ROOT\*PNP0501\1_0_17_1_0_0)

Is there anything that I can do about it???