Thread: USB and External Memory problems in Win 7 - available, but not showing

USB and External Memory problems in Win 7 - available, but not showing

I have a Kingston G3 USB Device, however this issue happens with 99% of memory devices I plug into my desktop, running Win 7.

Other USB devices works fine, joysticks, printers etc. However the external memories, flash drives all have the same problem in 99% of the times. When plugged in, they do not show in My Computer, checking Device manager, they do show up, however with a yellow triangle.

I try updating drivers and troubleshoot, but nothing changes. I check in Control Panel - Device and Printers, and it is showing there under Devices, and status it is working properly. But as mentioned before I can not access the device. I than checked in Disk management, and I can find the Device in Disk 6, does not have any driver letter attached to it.

If I Right Click, and choose the option to change Drive Letter and Path, I get an error message, which reads:

The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer. (I have done that but it doesn't help)

If I try to Format the disk/flash drive, I get the following message: An unexpected error has occurred. Check the System Event Log for more information on the error. No options in the Blue Box area is working, if I click in the Disk 6 Box, it allows me to see the properties, and confirms all is working fine. But will not allow me to make any changes to the drives letters. Now this happens on my factory Win 7 desktop, if I plug the same device in to my laptop it works fine, no issues at all.

In the Disk Management section it says: Disk 6- Removable, Online - and size of the disk. The issue is that this is a problem with any external hard drive I connect to my desktop, with very few exceptions. Please anybody any advice to resolve this problem?

(My laptop uses XP op system) I just tried opening XP - mode in my Win 7, virtual computer, and the USB stick is detected there, in XP, but not in Win7.

(By the way if I check Device Manager, with the yellow triangle, it comes up error 28, however this is only place where there is an issue with the device, other wise no information comes up.)

Re: USB and External Memory problems in Win 7 - available, but not showing

Go into device manager and uninstall the usb drivers. After that, plug the usb drive back in it and reinstall the driver and check if it works. If it still doesnt works, then try using diskpart to assign a drive letter to Disk #0, Partition #1.

1. Click Start Orb > type diskpart
    2. Right-click diskpart in results above > click Run as administrator
    3. Once diskpart loads type list volume, press enter

The first part I tried, and did not help.

Second part, when I type List Volume in Diskpart, I can not see the Volume of the USB stick.

If I type List Disk, it shows up as Disk 6 - Online, but in List Volume I can not see something with same specifications / size, so I am assuming it is not there.

Let me note that my knowledge is a bit limited to the second part, so would appreciate a simple step by step guide.

I am fine to check the list volumes, etc, but when trying to assign letter or partions I am not sure exactly how to make the procedure.

Can you right click on the device in the device manager that shows it isn't installed, click update driver software, enter this location assuming your C drive is your main drive

"C:\Windows\winsxs" and ensure the box is checked to include subfolders and hit ok. It should reinstall immediately and show up as a new drive in "My Computer"

Well I know made this even a bigger problem, I was on to the HP support page, and followed some instructions there to uninstall the USB Root Hub, after this to restart the computer, however after I done this my Keyboard and mouse does not work.

When computer restarted one time, one other mouse I had worked for few minutes, but also this stopped working.

I have restarted in safe mode, last known good condig, tried system restore point, but to no luck.

Mouse works in DOS mode, but now in Windows.

This is now becoming a nightmare to solve, please somebody some adivce and help, greatly appreciated. thanks.

When I restart computer, it comes message that windows is updating the drivers, but this is taking forever. So I am assuming that it does not want to detect my keyboard and mouse drivers, or does this take long time?

Note that during the uninstall of USB root hub, my mouse and keyboard stopped working. I had to shut down computer manually.

Ok, that was amazing, first of all I got my keyboard and mouse working, and now with your suggestion my USB stick working, very very happy, thanks very much.

May I ask why it is like this? Also will I need to do the same for other devices?

Thanks again, very much!

Is it possible for anyone to tell me why this worked, what is the reason, and if there is something I can do to improve this?

As every time I plug in new device I need to do this (USB sticks and some memory devices - hard disks)

It is possible to install Zune on Media Center 2002 edition. But the process for the same is long. I can provide you a guide link which will offer you detail options to do the same. Click on the below link and go through the guide. You can have entire steps explain in easy to perform the same. There is no other way to do this.

Install Zune on Media Center 2002