Thread: Some questions related to hard drive security

Some questions related to hard drive security

I have some confidential data on my computer’s hard drive. I use BIOS password to lock my computer as well BIOS password to lock my hard drive. I think that this much security is not enough and I need to provide more security. Can anyone advice me how should I secure my hard drive.

Re: Some questions related to hard drive security

Modern hard disks support the system of hard disk password lock. In this system a separate password is set for the hard disk. This password is separate from BIOS password and will affect only hard disk. It is commonly implemented in notebooks. This password will remain on the hard disk even though it is moved from one computer to another. Formatting the hard disk or using fdisk won’t allow user to get past the password.

The hard disk passwords are of 2 types, User password & Master Password. The Master Password is used to restore the hard disk to factor settings. So if anyone knows the default password set by the manufacturer, on can easily bypass the security of hard disk. The hard disk password is part of advanced ATA security features. Softwares that can guess the password or use brute force to extract password can be made to bypass security.

You can use Check Point Full Disk Encryption software to secure your hard disk. It provides automatic security for all information, hard drives, O.S. Files, User data including settings and even erased files. It has function of Multi-sector pre-boot authentication system which user’s identity. It works fine on many platforms. It provides good protection from unauthorized access to hard drive. It has rapid deployment. It combines end-point full disk encryption with other endpoint security software blades.

I too use Check Point Full Disk Encryption for security of data on my hard disk. In this, the logical partitions are boot protected and protected sector-by –sector. It also detects intrusion of rogue programs. It supports various languages, so useful in many regions. One can also remotely change the passwords. Provides choice for type of security one wants to apply. There are 6 different presets of security ranging from light security to heavy security.

You can also use PC guardian, another software for protection of your hard disk and data. This software allows you to apply security on individual file along with hard disk. But applying security to single file is less secure than it sounds. If you are working on a file, there are chances of it creating multiple temporary files or caching the data on another drive or location that out of security zone. So this technique is not much secure as compared to hard drive security.

I too am a user of PC guardian and from my experience I can tell you that it is good security software. It uses Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) 256-bit key encryption technique. It includes features like one main terminal providing security to other systems connected to it. It has user friendly & easy to use interface. It supports multiple question system if in any case user forgets the password.