Thread: Should i turn off my UPS when not in use?

Should i turn off my UPS when not in use?

I bought a new UPS yesterday night as there is lot of electricity issue which goes around my area. Anyways I connect my system with it and its working great without any problem. Also tried running my system by switching off the main supply of my house which didn’t created any issue with the pc.

But other than these things I just wanted to confirm one thing, my friends say that if I am not working on the computer I should keep the UPS off for once in 2 to 3 days? Is it true? And if yes then why I am suppose to do so?

Re: Should i turn off my UPS when not in use?

Yeah definitely you should turn it off always. It not supposes to be always switched on or something. It s just an electrical appliances that actually provides an emergency power to the system without any interruption when the main power supply is disconnected. So better charge it up and also make sure that you switch it off whenever you are not working on your system. Actually I would say that you should switch it off always when not in use and not just for once in 2 to 3 days.

Switching off your UPS is a better option but you should also make sure that its charged enough to supply power to your system when needed. And if you are one of them who always plugin the UPS to the power supply then I would better suggest you to follow your friends suggestion.

They are right you should definitely keep it switch off at least once in 2 or 3 days for some time, even I keep the UPS most of the time whenever I am not having any serious work on my computer so that at least my UPS battery isn’t consumed unnecessarily. No matter you plug in your UPS and charge it, if switched on and connected to the system then definitely the charge is bound to get down.

Even I agree, not just 3 or 4 day but you need to turn it off whenever not in use. In fact I would suggest you to unplug the battery from the UPS so that there is no local electrical discharge, it doesn’t matter what you the battery will definitely wear out the battery.

I have a Samsung notebook with me, I normally remove the battery of the notebook evrytime whenever my machine is plugged in. it helps me to extend my battery life.

That makes no sense my friend. If you have no such serious work in your system why don’t you just turn off your system also? Do you mean that the computer takes less power when turned off other than when they are in a sleep mode? Surely there is a difference but I guess the difference is quite negligible.

One more thing, if you really feels that your computer save more power when you turn it off just for few hour rather than keeping it in a sleep mode then let me tell you that actually the system take the maximum power while shutting down and also while turning on.

I never tried UPS till now, always wanted to get it but didn’t do it till now as I am not much aware of this USP brands and prices. Will definitely buy it by next week.

I don’t find any point of discussing about the USP life, it’s a most common and simple equipment which need have to been taken so much under consideration. You will not even imagine how many kinds of UPS actually exist. Each of them is used for different purpose or at different places. One amongst them is the most basic one i.e. Offline/standby UPS. This is the one which we are right now discussing about. Yes this one is actually being used in a normal house.

Your PC is actually protected and connected directly to the incoming utility power. USP is just a small heavy device and it should not be taken under as a part of the computer.

I don’t find any point of discussing about the USP life, it’s a most common and simple equipment which need have to been taken so much under consideration. You will not even imagine how many kinds of UPS actually exist. Each of them is used for different purpose or at different places. One amongst them is the most basic one i.e. Offline/standby UPS. This is the one which we are right now discussing about. Yes this one is actually being used in a normal house.
    Yeah I agree. Electronic gadgets are ultimately electronics, they have to be expiring somehow at some point and the possibility of the control you have over it is almost negligible. The battery of the USP has more heavy metals present in it which makes it too heavy.

It almost takes the full power cycle/plug cycle each time we use the system in 1 or 2 minutes.

I never tried UPS till now, always wanted to get it but didn’t do it till now as I am not much aware of this USP brands and prices. Will definitely buy it by next week.
    If you are really looking out for the best UPS then I would definitely suggest you to go for the Back-UPS by APC, right now if you will ask any person even they would suggest you the same brand. For your kind information over here it’s listed in the top rated UPS. This Back-UPS family offers guaranteed power protection for PCs, gaming console, and other electronics in your home or business.