Thread: how to get full drivers for Radeon X800 XT on ubuntu 11.10

how to get full drivers for Radeon X800 XT on ubuntu 11.10

Have some doubts regarding my system. I am running Xubuntu 11.10. My system configurations are:
    • Celeron 2.4GHz (single core D: )
    • 40GB HDD (7200RPM)
    • 512MB RAM
    • ATi Radeon X800 XT AGP Video Card

Coming directly to the point I personally believe that the graphics of my system are not so good as I expect from it. just wanted to get a full functionality with this Radeon X800 XT.

Re: how to get full drivers for Radeon X800 XT on ubuntu 11.10

For such cards older than the Radeon 2xxx series ATI discontinued fglrx. I guess you will have to do it with the open source drivers which I guess are quite good for these cards.

I personally will not prefer AMD drivers or even more new card on LINUX, in fact I do not have a working OpenGL 2.0 and above. I guess this will be solved by next fglrx update.

I must suggest you to use synaptic if your Ubuntu still have it, and then you can search for ATI. I did the same thing when I had the same issue.

In my case the package which I locate was not only installed (xserver-xorg-video-radeon) but also they were built on xf86-video-ati. But then it displays a page saying that “Note that this is not the same as the ATI-provided, binary-only, 'fglrx' driver, which provides additional 3D functionality for some newer Radeon cards, but is not supported”. Now I am not sure whether I will be able to get 3D out of this existing card or not.

But I guess the open source drivers do support the 3D acceleration for all the cards. I was told that even if it support then too its possibly going to be much poorer on the newer cards as compared to the older cards. Older cards were supposed to be at least good if they are not better than the proprietary ATI drivers.

I have got the opensource drivers but the problem is that the wobbly windows and other things don’t seem to working fine.

For this you need to first check what exactly is using your driver, make sure that xorg.conf uses your driver. In order to get confirm you need to run the following code:

$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log

The above code should be most probably be able to give you the output of which drivers it is exactly taking in use. Also another thing is that 800XT does not support something that compiz requires to run with some specific plugins.

I don’t think the 800XT card is good for the compiz effects. I think compiz are not at all compatible with Ubuntu 11.04, at least they have never worked for me. Well that’s the reason I have still continued my system with the Ubuntu version of 10.04. I also have a ATI Radeon X1600 card.

I actually don’t have any problem to use a compiz.

Actually the last time when I installed there was an option between unity and gnome on the installer. We are supposed to uninstall Unity and then again install the Gnome or anything like that.

Anyways I have got XBMC installed alongside in my system now. after installing it, I can experience a much better view maybe just because the screen in too cool and its not being slicy. And most importantly it boot faster and smoothly.