Thread: how to extract ROM file from wflash program

how to extract ROM file from wflash program

I really need a help right now, any there who can let me know how exactly I can extract the ROM file using the Wflash program? I am also unable to update my BIOS too.

I flashed my Acer notebook with the wFlash program provided to me by Acer, I guess it’s an executable with a rom/bin file embedded to it. I also wanted to know whether the boot block activated by SW2 need to have anything other than the floppy or CD? And do we also need an external USB floppy. Please help me out in letting me know whether it is really possible to extract the ROM file using the mentioned program; I somehow want a .bin ROM file. Anyone who can answer my question?

Re: how to extract ROM file from wflash program

I have an Acer C302XMi which I bought some 14 to 15 months ago. Even I need to know the thing regarding the ROM file. But other than this I am also facing another unusual issue. I installed the latest ROM 1.13, after the installation I could easy boot up though F2 but the problem is that it suddenly stops in-between. Seems like it don’t know where and how to find the hard drive.

Anyways somehow we both need to get the latest bios .bin/ROM file. Hope somehow we get an idea.

From where did you get this latest 1.13 ROM I have 1.08 with me. May be at my place it is up to 1.08 at its limit and not 1.13. I am supposed to try out the recovery but as usual need a .bin file.

I read lots of thread in most of the forums which reported the same problem but the solution provided to them was the main board replacement, it’s quite annoying if the requirement is the BOIS upload as of our case. It seems like the symptoms of the reported threads are the same. I am really hoping that nothing should come up with the sticky key or the mouse flying into the extreme side of the bottom corner.

I already wrote a program which is possibly able to open a window at the point on the screen and then sink the mouse clicks.

Just because Phoenix stated that boot block will support, I purchased an Acer USB Floppy. There was a double micro switch inside under the keyboard, now if the 2 numbered switched is pressed or hold it automatically activates the boot block. There are somewhat I guess three catches at the top adjacent to esc, F4 and F12 which is clicked towards the touch pad.

Now when turned on the system the mail hotkeys illuminates and the PC bleeps and error message saying that you've messed about with your BIOS and now you've got brick/paperweight/table mat and so on….. During this moment the only way I have found till now to get away or to stop the PC is to take out the battery out of the notebook. I used the USB floppy but again and again kept on checking the floppy but does not seem to read it.

I really need a help right now, any there who can let me know how exactly I can extract the ROM file using the Wflash program? I am also unable to update my BIOS too.
    Hey dude answering your question I would say that, it doesn’t look like the ROM file can be extracted from the wflash program. But other than that you can easily make a copy of a ROM file with the help of a smooth working system and the wflash program, there you can find an option just to save the bios in the file. The option says that “Save the BIOS in a File”. But I would not assure you that it will really save the existing BIOS or the one that are included with the Wflash program.

Do as follows:
    First you need a Boot diskette and make sure to do the following changes on it:
    You just need to create a file called AUTOEXEC.BAT, using only a single line “awdflash.exe updatefilename /py /sn” and then copy it onto the Diskette. Note that while create the file you are suppose to do it on another PC using a Texteditor. After doing it boot from the Diskette and then note down the beep sounds.

While Booting:
    • If 2 short beeps - no Bootdiskette in Drive A
    • Continuously short Beeps = no Floppydrive

After the Flash Process:
    • Continuously long Beeps = Programming successfully done, restart.

I had the same problem in my Acer C300 notebook. Using the Acer website I found the standard windows flash utility, and using that utility I updated the BIOS to 1.13. But then as mentioned above when I also boot the system I get a blank screen. In order to recover my BIOS I already treid using a BIOS boot block function but that doesn’t work, it actually creates a sound which means that the BIOS file cannot be read. Then later on I also tried to rename .wph BOIS ROM file to .bin file and .ROM file from the acer site’s BIOS zips.

I have no idea what exactly is causing such issue. maybe there is something wrong with the file size I guess as my .wph size is 514 kb and the ROM could be most probably 512 kb. Even now I can hear the sound saying that the files cannot be read.

Just prepare a Bootable BIOS Reflash Disk and then use it.
    First create a bootable disk then after that decompresses the zip file the created bootable disk, after that put the bootable disk into the TravelMate C300 and then boot. And now using the TravelMate C300 make a BIOS Reflash Disk. Make sure that you do not power off the system during the BIOS update process, if turn off even unknowingly there are possibility of your system getting damaged.

After booting you can see certain messages, those messages will be regarding the BIOS details including the Version.

If ready to reflash BIOS, press "1", and otherwise press "0". If you press "1", the reflash utility will check if this machine
    is Wistron Canary series. If yes, You will see this massage:
    Acer TravelMate C300
    BIOS Flash Service Diskette

Press "1" to make sure again. The BIOS reflash utility will
    re-check your system and begin to update your BIOS to Version 1.13.

If the BIOS reflash is done successful, you will see:
    Acer TravelMate C300
    BIOS Flash Service Diskette