Thread: iMac based on Intel Dual Core keeps freezing

iMac based on Intel Dual Core keeps freezing

I have been using the apple iMac which is few year old and it was quite well so far from every point of view. The processor is based on Intel Dual core. So I there was no performance related issue. But since yesterday I am experiencing freezes frequently and it happens regularly. I didn’t change any setting neither I changed or modified the system hardware/software. What could be causing this issue?

Re: iMac based on Intel Dual Core keeps freezing

It normally looks like hardware issue. You can easily check for this, if you have little knowledge about system hardware but before that I would suggest you to try the following:
    • Repair permissions using Disk Utility
    • Verify disk using the same
    • Run hardware diagnostics by the use of install OS X DVD
    • Go through all the system logs to see if anything causing the system to freeze completely.

I know that these old iMacs later comes to showing issues for no reason at all. There is no guarantee that only hardware section is causing this issue. Sometimes software is the major bottleneck in Mac. But for that a major OS update can fix some. Here in your situation it looks like a graphics system is keep suspending. To check it, you need to go to the console logs for pointers and there you need to read out the entire log. Freezes does not report any kind of logs there but you could see some kernel panics which also could be the reason.

When I got the same issue I ran the hardware tests, using one utility which I got from Apple and other from Techtool. I ran them multiple times but they didn’t show up anything on the test. The RAM was good and working. I heard that in the mid 2007 some new iMacs suffered from this problem. I think yours one is same as this.

Find an error/crash log in the console using the system logs commands. If needed you can also check for kernel panics using the kernel log command. You need to decipher the log in order to find out where exactly wrong.

If your iMac freezes and won't start up normally, then there is a good way to find the solution and this even using the apple’s inbuilt diagnosis tools. First of all you have to use the disk repair utility to fix the issue. There are two utilities actually and both are presented in Mac OS X. First one is the Disk Utility and second one is ‘fsck’ (a command-line utility). By using these you can also check the possible file system issues. Sometimes the file system errors can cause the system to act strange.