Thread: How to add Second Hard Drive to Lenovo ThinkStation E30

How to add Second Hard Drive to Lenovo ThinkStation E30

I have bought the Lenovo ThinkStation E30 which is having the 500 GB main harddrive along with the DVD burner. Now I wish to add one more harddrive like a data drive to my computer but the problem is that the E30 is only having the 2 SATA III ports and out of these two one is utilized for the Harddrive ("SATA Connector 1") and the other one is for the DVD burner ("SATA Connector 2"). I want to ask that what is the reason that I am not able to move the DVD burner to the SATA II port ("SATA connector 3") and then the SATA III connector for the hard drive?

Re: How to add Second Hard Drive to Lenovo ThinkStation E30

You will be able to move the drives in order to install the new HDD on the SATA III port. I am pretty confident that this is set in that way for ease. This is do ne kin this way because neither optical drives nor mechanical HDDs are able to leverage SATA III speeds. In your case, this is not going to cause any problem unless you will go for with the SSD.

I think that there is no advantage if you attach the optical drive with the SATA3 port in that way. If it is coming like this from the Lenovo then doing the changes to that is not going to be as easy as you might think. Therefore, it will be better for you if you can move the optical over to a SATA2 port.

I am having two SAS 6Gbps drives on the SAS 3Gbps controller and they both are limited to 160 MB/sec sequential speeds. SATA 6Gbps will surely be helpful by means of a SATA III SSD, although there are many of the people who are not able to tell the dissimilarity over SATA 3Gbps outside of benchmarks otherwise continually moving large files.