Thread: SCSI HDD error: Unexpected SCSI command failed

SCSI HDD error: Unexpected SCSI command failed

Does anyone have lots of knowledge about the SCSI Hard drive? I am using one I think but I am not sure about it. The BIOS shows me some kind of errors regarding the SCSI HDD and the error is Unexpected SCSI command failed. Can anyone tell me what this error indicates?

Re: SCSI HDD error: Unexpected SCSI command failed

As far as I know that SCSI stands for Small Computer Systems Interface. In other way we can say that it is the set of standards for connection and data transfer between computers and other SCSI peripherals like HDDs, scanners and disk drives. This standard is backs with different rules, commands and interfaces. There are quite a few manufacturers who produced SCSI HDDS but when they fail, it needs Hard Disk Recovery.

This is a common issue with SCSi drives and there is already solution available for this problem. You should enter into controller setup and enable the "send startup command" for units/IDs/drives.

The error is SCSI disk utilities specific. It can cause errors like this. The issue may be related to the HDD health or the hard drive failure. You can see the contents in the error windows and it describes what is wrong actually. On the Error windows there are some parameters like SCSI Target ID, Host Adapter Status, and Sense Key etc. Sense key contain a number and error description which will help you to get idea about the cause so that you can recover it easily. If the Sense key shows 03h or 04h with statement ‘Medium Error’ or ‘Hardware Error’, then it indicates the defect in physical media

The error indicates that SCSI device could not complete the command due to some reasons. One reason is the wrong setup of SCSI controller. You can change this thing using the SCSISelect utility. First of all go into the SCSI and choose utility by pressing CTRL-A during the system boot. Otherwise you can directly use the SCSI Select diskette. There go to the option for Configure/View Host Adapter Settings/ SCSI Device Configuration. You must refer the user's guide to know about proper termination and use of SCSI Select utility.