Thread: Lenovo ThinkStation D10 Power not working properly

Lenovo ThinkStation D10 Power not working properly

Hello friends, I am having the Lenovo ThinkStation D10 6427CTO, which is having all the original part beside the HDD and RAM. From past 2 weeks I am noticing problem with the power of it. It will start with self test fan and switched off automatically; it will get on again, test fans and switched off again. Sometimes it happens fast sometime it is slower. I do know what it is the reason of it, does anyone have faced the same problem? Please help me. Thank you.

Re: Lenovo ThinkStation D10 Power not working properly

I wanted to know that is the system connected to UPS for a stable power source or directly to wall socket? I just believe that PSU is going bad; if the D10 is still under warranty period then you should call the customer care. If it is not then you need to purchase parts on your own for it. Where the power supply will be having a white decal with a FRU number stick on it, which might be 41A9764 or 41A9709. Where the first number uses a standard C13 power plugs and second one uses the C19 plug which was been found on older rackmount servers. If you are having the C19 plug and wanted to have C13 then it is proper time to get it.

I have plug the system directly to power strip, I have even try to directly plug it to wall, or another wall and also in another power strip, then also same problem. I have noticed that the light goes in and out which I believe that it is a symptom of the power supply or the cable which is been used is broken. I am not able to find the cable of C19 to replace. The problem is that if I switched it on then it remains on for 24-48 hours without having the trouble even if I run it under heavy load. So what to do with it? Even I would like to add that it is having the GeForce GTX 580 which should be the reason to create problem.

Let me tell you that the GTX 580 is a power-hungry card, and also it depends that how you have bridged power to the 8-pin PCIe power socket, due to which it might have damaged during the process. Whereas the D10 PSU has never intended for 6+8 pin GPUs. I have heard that release pattern will be out in some time. I think that it should affect it or not, can’t say at present.

The D10's PSU is not been intended to been used for gaming/desktop GPUs. I think that GTX 580 was been released in 2009 for D10, very less latest desktop GPUs works properly with the older PSU whether it is a home-built desktop or pre-built workstation. Where the S20, D20, C20, and C20x all of them having the provisions for 8+6-pin PCIe power and are best to run the newer gaming GPUs on it. Where it is not been officially qualified or supported by any of the companies. The hardware which is required for gaming does not work properly until and unless it is been made by company. I am using the OC GTX 570 fitted on C20 to handle rendering and visualization and running heavy applications using directX in place of openGL.