Thread: Intel X-25M SSD warning: Reallocated Sector count

Intel X-25M SSD warning: Reallocated Sector count

Currently my system geared up using the Intel X25M SSD. I usually Ran the HD tune Pro in order to check the status of disk and sectors. When I ran the same test on yesterday, I noticed that there is a warning for Reallocated Sector count. If I run the full diagnostic scan with Intel SSD Toolbox, there everything seems be fine. So it is really confusing me because the SSD has the latest firmware.

Re: Intel X-25M SSD warning: Reallocated Sector count

Bad sector issue is regular and normal on any drive and that makes the disk to be denoted as bad and not usable. But here in your case due to threshold, the tuner took exceeded the time to read the sector and nothing else. If there is more than one bad sector, then there is a problem and you have to worry about that. Right now it is just a single warning and not a big issue.

It seems to me that the HDTune is showing you the incorrect "warning". This is a SSD, not the HDD. The problem is HD tune Pro may not be able to decoding the meaning of few attributes in a right manner. Increment in reallocations is expected and you don’t need to worry about that.

Here is the thing to properly check the driver and follow it. It may give you proper result according to your needs.
    • First of all you need to clone your Intel to some other driver or simply create an image of the drive and save it some other partition on different drive.
    • Next thing is to zero-fill using any software which is able to write a pattern for instance "00" in all drive.
    • Now test the drive again.

I am not using the Intel SSD. I hope that it is the one which Intel expects to have 20GB writes/day for 5 years. If I calculate it properly, it would be 20GB x 365 x 5 = approx 35.6 TiB. So in your case you need to find out how much your drive has written. In my case, my drive has written 3.8TiB. So as for the calculation it has used approx 10.7% of its lifetime. So few bad blocks could be expected such time. I don’t want to send it back for the replacement because I don’t see something strange or new issue here. However Intel Toolbox will tell you’re the proper condition or status of the system.