Thread: Getting spinning and clicking noise in Seagate 7200.11 1TB hard disk

Getting spinning and clicking noise in Seagate 7200.11 1TB hard disk

Hi, i have Seagate 7200.11 1TB hard disk and getting some problems with it. Some time before when i had FreeAgent connected with USB my computer had failed to boot and then stopped at the device detection screen. But when i removed the device and restarted the computer, it booted as normal and device was detected successfully. I could see that device in Disk Management and even in the Windows explorer. It would give me the MFT error after working for a while. Now it has completely stopped working, it only makes spinning noise and clicking noise at the start and then stops. I am also not able to check for any bad sectors. I have removed the external cover and connected it to my computer and have tried running commands in Hyperterminal but in the end i am getting R/W code error. I am trying SMART erase command and then to create all the partitions. What else can you suggest?

Re: Getting spinning and clicking noise in Seagate 7200.11 1TB hard disk

If you are getting spinning and clicking noise at the start only and hard drive is spinning for some time then it, means your hard disk has some bad sectors on it. I have done some data recovery on my bad hard disks and from that i can say that you are having problems with read/write options on your hard disk. Sometimes it is very difficult to replace these parts.

I again ran Hyperterminal. This time i did not use spinup command and directly went to Smart erase command that is N1 command and received the following:

LED: 000000CC FAddr: 0025DDD9
    LED: 000000CC FAddr: 0025DDD9

After this my hard disk was unable to take any commands from terminal and was repeating the same lines again and again. when i tried to replace the cardstock and reboot the computer after which again started taking commands from terminal. Should i bypass the SMART erase and go directly to creating partitions?

You can have any type of error and there are multiple solutions for it. Keep researching with your disk and you will get at least one solution for your problem. Recovering data from this drive looks pretty much impossible though. It can be loose contact between your PCB and the hard drive. Check the connectors of the hard drive as well as of your PCB. Try replacing the PCB or firmware for your disk!

I have replaced the PCB already but still getting the same error. Do you guys know where exactly is firmware stored on drive? I think this is the problem with this series only because i have other two hard disks with same series. I am not able to recover data from these hard drives also. I have tried using pc3000 data recovery and diagnostic tools but to no success.