Thread: How to use WD5000BMVV connector for internal drives?

How to use WD5000BMVV connector for internal drives?

Hello, i have got Western Digital WD5000BMVV connector and want to use it for my internal drive. It has 1 output port, 1USB port, there are 12 pins on the right side with 6 pins on each row. It neither has SATA nor IDE ports then how can i connect it for using with internal drive? Can you guys help me to use it?

Re: How to use WD5000BMVV connector for internal drives?

If it is any type of connector then it should have SATA Tx or Rx pair of wire between Bridge chip and the MCU if you have Bridge as a separate IC! It is possible to remove the capacitors and then connect the Tx/Rx wire with SATA cable. You can try this but i have heard that these drive come with WD Smartware which automatically activated when you connect it with USB. What other things have you tried before?

The thing you are talking about is Passport USB drive by the Western Digital company. There is no need of connector for this. You will have to find an expert on hardware peripherals in order to use it. You can’t also change its PCB. You should ask the customer service at Western Digital, probably they will have better solution for it.

I have seen this type of USB drive, when you generally connect it to the computer, it first has LED which starts glowing, it then makes 5 times beeps with glowing lights. This drive is not detected by the computer or by Microsoft’s UVC. I have tried opening the drive which shows the 12 pin connector pins inside accompanied with micro USB port. When i contacted WD it said that this connection port is given for data recovering software companies for recovering your data from hard drive in case of emergency. These companies have special connection for recovering this data can only be used by them only.

If it is making any noises with glowing lights then it may be the problem with media itself! is your USB cable getting proper power supply from your USB ports? I have seen some motherboards from Gigabyte that gives you three times extra power if your device needs extra power boost for performing better. I have also seen that many WD users are complaining about low quality of the USB connectors. You should check the USB pins of the PCB of your drive as well as USB connectors of computer.