Thread: HP Compaq dc5000 flashing red light and beeping upon boot

HP Compaq dc5000 flashing red light and beeping upon boot

I am using the HP Compaq dc5000 microtower pc and it was using the fine till yesterday. When I boot today, it started flashing red light and beeping. But the system won’t boot up at all. On the monitor I can see only “No Signal Message. What happened to it?

Re: HP Compaq dc5000 flashing red light and beeping upon boot

I know that solving these kinds of problems is very difficult for those who don’t know about Diagnosing. If there is no visual cues and no guide, then it become impossible to fix it by yourself. But there is no problem with the HP since they provide easy guide to make the job easier. By just checking and analyzing the beep codes computer owners can easily determine and find the solution of the issue. You need to know how beeps are occurring and how many times. The Hp guide will help you to troubleshoot all by yourself.

If you are hearing 5 Short Beeps, then the problem is with the motherboard. You need to reseat memory and reboot. If that didn’t help, then you should look forward for new motherboard. But you can try replacing the CPU.

However, if there are 4 beeps & 4 flashes, then the problem is with the power supply. I think it is overloaded. You should try unplugging unnecessary components from the PSU and boot again.

As someone said you need to take a look into the HP user guide first which you got with the system. with that guide it is extremely easier to track the cause of beep codes. There are various beeping patterns and each one contains different meaning and cause. You have to start your computer and listen to beeping. There might be either short beep or long beep or may be both. So you need to note down the number of beeps and pattern. After that compare the result listed in your HP user guide

First thing you need to do is reseat your memory. Then if there are any PCI card installed on motherboard, secure it by slightly pushing the cards onto the motherboard so that it can properly be seated. Then go for each and one connection inside the case and secure them. Make sure that there are no burning marks on the motherboard. Now restart your computer and look for any kind of messages on the screen. You might get some visual clues. If the red LED keep blinking or glowing then it means that either faulty memory or overheating processor.