Thread: HP E-pc C10 Desktop PC shuts down suddenly

HP E-pc C10 Desktop PC shuts down suddenly

Right now I am facing a major problem with hp e-pc C10 Dekstop computer. It is a very old computer running Intel Pentium III processor. The system boots up file and runs proper for about 15 to 45 minutes and the suddenly shuts down. If I try to boot up again, it won’t boot up for at least 10 minutes. Due to this problem I have installed a new CMOS battery. Running Windows XP. I have also installed another cooling fan assuming that it could be temp problem but still no help. Is there any good solution?

Re: HP E-pc C10 Desktop PC shuts down suddenly

I think that it is due to the heat problem but not the CPU heat. It could be the power source. Make sure that all voltages are file when pc suddenly shuts down. Also looks for some cold or loose connection inside the CPU case or outside. In order to monitor the PC's temperature, you can make use of the SpeedFan. It is a free app which will allow you to monitor and adjust fans for tuning heat, noise, and power balance. It also displays the CPU temps. The overheating of any components can make the system to crash.

I urge you to look into the capacitors around the CPU. There might be burned or leakage of a greenish brown material. If so, you might find a replacement. But it will not happen usually (rare conditions). Right now I would try different PSU, may be it can help me to solve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Hymavath View Post
    I urge you to look into the capacitors around the CPU. There might be burned or leakage of a greenish brown material. If so, you might find a replacement. But it will not happen usually (rare conditions). Right now I would try different PSU, may be it can help me to solve the problem.
    I too think that the issue is because of bad or failing PSU. You should minimize use of PC, if there is really a problem with PSU. Do not ever use the faulty PSU in your compute since it could send wrong out-of-spec voltages thus damaging system or motherboard components slowly. I hope that you have already checked the RAM modules. Make sure to upgrade the video and sound drivers. Just to be safe do not run heavy CPU usage apps on this computer since it is not able to take such an amount of load. Get rid of malicious programs if possible assuming that it could be a culprit behind the damage.

If Windows inexplicably shuts down, then it is surely overheated. The PC shutting off because it may be protecting delicate circuits from such overheating. It is a good thins since you can at least save some sensitive components over motherboards which are very much reactive to high temps. If you have already installed an extra fan but did you notice that whether the ventilation is proper or not? I think that hot air is still circulating inside the Case.