Thread: How to Enable Front Microphone on HP Compaq dc5800

How to Enable Front Microphone on HP Compaq dc5800

I have got the HP Compaq dc5800 Desktop PC from the retailer store. Everything is working fine in this except the Front Microphone. It seems to me that either it is not working or not enabled by default. Does anyone know how to enable this thing?

Re: How to Enable Front Microphone on HP Compaq dc5800

First of all you need to Find out whether your Windows able to detect an audio signal from microphone, the line-in port or not. If you are checking the line-in port, then make sure not to tune volume up. This can cause the distortion and could damage the components related to Audio. Start with slow volume and then raise it slowly. Also make sure that you have installed the RealTek driver. If you have really installed, by default it will be HDA-compatible front header panel.

For your issue you need to check for “'Disable front panel jack detection” option. To check it
    • Double-click on the the RealTek HD Audio Manager icon on the system tray icon and then choose the Audio I/O tab
    • Now click on the spanner next to the Analog option.
    • If you find 'Disable front panel jack detection' option then tick the tick box and click OK. If there is 'AC97 Front panel support' option, untick it and click OK.
    • Now put the microphone jack into corresponding front panel socket.
    • The system now shows you a message 'Information: A jack has been plugged in'. Now the HDA-compatible front panel automatically configures the settings.
    • If there is no message when connection then you have problem with the front panel.

As far as I know that there are 2 standards. In that one is AC97 and Hi-Definition Audio (HDA). The 2 standards are incompatible. Make sure that you have connected the Front panel audio headers to the motherboard to the appropriate plug. I hope that you have used the proper cable and front panel PCB along with matching driver. Otherwise it won’t work at all.

How did you get to know that Front panel Microphone is not enabled? I think that you have problem with Microphone. If not, then what you can get in Sound manager? To check the Microphone, connect it to front panel port and then
    • Open Control Panel> Hardware and Sounds >Managing audio devices.
    • Inside the Sound Window open Recording tab.
    • To test speak into it. If it is getting signal, you will see green bars on the right side of Microphone. If not, then assume that problem is with phone or may be the front panel hardware.