Thread: How to find LUNs from the host

How to find LUNs from the host

Usually I create LUNs and present it to different hosts. Yesterday the OS person asked me to find and release the particular LUN which is previously presented inside the host. He has just given me the path of LUN from the OS side. Now the problem is using this path I don’t know how to find the LUN here, I mean, in the storage system. I have to find the same LUN as noted in the OS path. Is there any way to find it?

Re: How to find LUNs from the host

It seems to me like you are using the Solaris MPxIO device. For that first of all you have to find what the underlying device that maps to first. To check this you need to use luxadm or mpathadm commands to get to know about this and after that use the LUN UUID or the H-LUN ID to find the LUN. If you don’t know what luxadm or mpathadm do, then search on the Google using man luxadm or any account on the host. Otherwise you can also use some native host tools like HDLM, HCS etc.

First of all I simply assume that Solaris system, cfgadm is your friend. As far as I know the system administrator knows everything about it. You can easily seek advice from them. The Luns which you have presented to the host sorted in a proper order. If there is any unconfigured lun, then system admins can easily detect them out from host. Then you can count it back on Storage Navigator. It is not always necessary to chat with sysadm and get to know about the LUN path. You can sue the solaris tool like HDLM to find LUN and removed.

Thanks for the quick inputs. I know that you have given valuable information but I would like know whether there is same kind of document available from the Hitachi side.

I have asked the system admins to provide me the proper LUN ids. Unfortunately they didn’t give me what I asked for but they are simply giving me some kind of id with which I am not able to find the exact LUN or its path.

If you were really working on LUN, then you must know about Solaris very well and about its inbuilt tool which will help you to make work easier. In my case here the system had 192 LUNs on it. They were obviously shared over FEP on the USP. It will break down the complex path a bit. Here for me, the first step is determining the FEP and then the LUN number on the port which you have already got from the OS guy.