Thread: Dell Optiplex 755 BIOS error:Rear Fan Failure

Dell Optiplex 755 BIOS error:Rear Fan Failure

One year before I have bought the Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop PC. Till yesterday I didn’t get any issues with it. I had done few hardware upgrades as well as OS update. Everything was fine. But when I boot today, I got an error saying "Alert - Rear Fan Failure". It shows me at the beginning of the boot. Any ideas about this error?

Re: Dell Optiplex 755 BIOS error:Rear Fan Failure

I really don’t know how is and what is happening in your case but if you have a original OS CD, then put It in the disk drive and boot from that CD only. There you will get repair option to repair windows. Follow the instructions and I hope that it will surely going to solve the problem. If this didn’t help then I would like to know how the issue was started.

I know that the Fans inside the Dell Optiplex computer are understated. One thing to say that they are the necessary part of the computer in order to keep running your computer even if there is excessive amount of heat generated by the hardware. So invest good money for buying a good and branded Fan or CPU cooler. If it is broken replace it with the new one. It will help your computer to run healthy.

First of all go into the bios setup if possible and see whether you can able to detect cpu fan's rpm or not. I know that it is only the BIOS error message. If the Fan is working properly then do the following things:
    • Go to the BIOS and clear the system log
    • Upgrade the BIOS to latest version
    • take out the CMOS battery from motherboard to reset BIOS
    • Set the BIOS settings to default.

Some steps above can only be achieved if you have access to the BIOS.

First of all reattach each and every one of the fans to the same motherboard headers? The problem seems only with the BIOS. The BIOS may not be able to read the RPM info of the Fan otherwise it is simply reading 0RPM. So the system things that the fan is failed. However if you can get into the BIOS, you can easily disable the warning. But there is a problem with Dell's system. it does not allow any kind of BIOS customization.

Quote Originally Posted by Upendra View Post
    First of all go into the bios setup if possible and see whether you can able to detect cpu fan's rpm or not. I know that it is only the BIOS error message. If the Fan is working properly then do the following things:
    • Go to the BIOS and clear the system log
    • Upgrade the BIOS to latest version
    • take out the CMOS battery from motherboard to reset BIOS
    • Set the BIOS settings to default.

Some steps above can only be achieved if you have access to the BIOS.

I have looked all around the BIOS and there I couldn’t get any options to configure Fan or shut it down. Only options I can see now are about video card from PEG to PCI. I am really looking forward for your help. I don’t wanna flash the BIOS and there is no way I can re-install Windows. So any solution will be much appreciated.

I think that the CPU fan becomes disconnected from header and it is not getting power. The speed of the fan might have fallen below the minimum RPM. This could lead to system or BIOS error. Is there is malfunction with power headers, then Fan would not work properly and does not run at its default speed. Take out the entire set and clean the dust and moisture over it. Re-attach everything. After connecting once again check that it is connected securely to the motherboard and the fan header. Clear the BIOS logs by clearing the CMOS. Now boot up.

I had the same problem with my computer and I tried this: when the system first boot up, press F1 or F2 for setup, press F2. It will take you to the BIOS setup. There you will need to look for something this “Report keyboard errors". Change this message to " DO NOT report keyboard errors" by pressing the arrow key. Next time you boot the computer, you will not see this error anymore.

I am sorry to say that I don’t have any reasons for your issue. It's simply the Dell's BIOS that is informing you that one of the fans gets failed and you need to replace them. Otherwise motherboard might not be detecting that fan is running.