Thread: Dell Optiplex 790 Flashing Amber Power Light

Dell Optiplex 790 Flashing Amber Power Light

I have been suffering from failure in Optiplex 790. All the units had same problem and i have returned the units number of times since last few months. The PSUs fails to power on but power light can always be seen flashing with amber color. There are no sign of diagnostic lights also. When searched this on the internet i found another couple of users having the same problem. I had to change both my PSU and the motherboard to solve this problem. Has anyone of you encountered the same issue? Can i know the cause of this?

Re: Dell Optiplex 790 Flashing Amber Power Light

We have had same issues in our office with same Optiplex 790 desktop machines. They all were victims of bad PSUs. When made more enquiry, it revealed that it was not because some voltage problem but it was malfunctioning of power supply unit. One system was rescued by replacing the PSU unit others are under inspection. I have been finding the cause of pwer failure but till now no success as there is no problem with our wiring in office.

I had blast in my system when my power supply died. There were spark coming out of my machines followed by fumes and bad smell. Do i have to change my motherboard also because it was big blast and it could have its effects on my motherboard also? What do you think about it?

I had ordered some optiplex 790 models and after couple of months 15% of them were found faulty. We had problems with BIOS in some models. When contacted people from Dell said power supply is replaceable by user. I have got more detail about the faulty parts that are made by the Dell such as there were case in which 2500 optiplex 270 had to replace the their motherboards, over 800 optilex 280 had the faulty PSUs.

The company where i am working had several cases in which the power supply unit was found faulty in optiplex 790 machines. The power supply model is H240AS-00. Now this has become a common issue in our office. I don’t think there is affix for this PSUs and might need to replace them with another better model. We have purchased them with dual Radeon 6350 from DELL.

Hello guys i think i have solution for you all. I have been experimenting with group of 20 computers and then found this solution. The optiplex 790 definitely has power supply problem. If you will observe the end of the power supply neatly you will see small blue plastic used for redirecting the air flow out of the away from intake fan of the power supply but on the motherboard. I will recommend you removing that plastic piece for better airflow to the power supply unit. This is not official fix but it will definitely help you increase the life of the PSU.