Thread: Cannot connect Cooler Master PSU 20+4 pin cable to motherboard

Cannot connect Cooler Master PSU 20+4 pin cable to motherboard

My computer is previously installed with gigabyte motherboard. Yesterday I have bought a Cooler Master Silent Pro 500w. The motherboard only has 24 pin connector. When I try to connect the PSU power connector to the motherboard, it only fits 20 pin part but the extra 4 pins won’t fit at all. A small plastic piece preventing other 4 pins not to fit. I cannot replace the PSU now. Is there any workaround?

Re: Cannot connect Cooler Master PSU 20+4 pin cable to motherboard

Remaining 4 pins are used only if you own a dedicated VGA whose consumption is of 75watts. The 4 remaining pins can be added without any problem. In theory this single source integrated into the ATX connector 1 x 4 pin extra apart from the 20 pin connector.

If you have nowhere to plug in their spare cables, then it is that your motherboard does not support that kind of power supply. In that case, simply connect only the cables you need and leave leftover organized for good ventilation inside the tower. If you need a cable connected then you need a new power supply or a converter. There are some converters to 4 +4 pin molex or molex to 4 pin molex to PCIe or (6 pin).

On your motherboard, there should be two connectors for power supply:
    • A 24 pin on the right of the motherboard to the memories.
    • An 8-pin at the top of the map almost above the proc. (Which must have a small cache of 4 of these pins) you remove the cover, and you plug the 8 pin.

In terms of power or forPCIe graphics cards, some cards claim 6 pins, others 8. So you can feed other types of cards with your PSU. No worries if they are free.

The 24Pin connector is the standard motherboard connector. Which is usually in a 20 and a 4-split if it is combined with you, as long as you are on your motherboard have a 24pin (which should be so). You need one more plug (1x 4-pin, 1x or 2x 4 Pin 8 Pin) for the CPU. The thick plug with 20 +4 pins you put in into the matching connector on the board . They should also have 24 pins, so you can tuck the entire cable (also the 4pin connector). In addition, there must be a separate 4-pin connector type on the power supply, then in the 4-pin connector is on the board.

I myself had with my power supply the same problem. Now a 20 pin power supply connector is located on the 24pin motherboard sockets and a 4-pin power connector 8-pin socket on the motherboard. Everything runs with no problems. Probably you will not need that adapter.