Thread: Use only C-221 BK Black ink cartridge in Canon PIXMA MX860 to print

Use only C-221 BK Black ink cartridge in Canon PIXMA MX860 to print

Currently I am using Canon PIXMA MX860 wireless printer. It is an all-in-one printer. I would like to print from this printer using only C-220 BK cartridge. I need only Black and White print and I don’t want to make print using combination of different color cartridges or the little C-221 BK cartridge. Is it possible to print using only single cartridge?

Re: Use only C-221 BK Black ink cartridge in Canon PIXMA MX860 to print

I don’t know any way to make this printer to print from only one Ink cartridge. The best way to find out is to look into the manual of the printer. I have been using the Canon inkjets printers from the past several months. I don’t think that using a cartridge for black only is not an issue. If the cartridge is compatible with the printer, then it will surely work.

I think that you can change the printing settings easily. For that you need to go to the control panel (make it as classic view). After that Select printers and faxes. There select your printer and right click on it. Select printing preferences> Color> and select print in grey scale or black cartridge only. If you still not able to print from Black cartridge only, then look into printer software, if have one. There you must have settings to change the cartridge.

I don’t know how canon printers work specifically. But I hope that there could be some sort of print setup where you can print in black and white only. However the problem is some printers will not operate with only one cartridge installed.

Printing from only single cartridge is completely depending on the brand of printer. Some are capable to prints with or without all ink cartridges. Some have successfully done printing job using only one black ink and this is also an economical route. But you might notice slight difference in print quality. One more thing to say that if you are going to print Black and White doc in Color, it will surely going to cost more ink than normal. However To create a black print, the printer combines all four colors (CMYB). Only in some rare cases print do the job with black alone.

As far as I know that most of the printer mixes a little yellow with the black ink in order to balance the contrast/darkness of the black ink. Then only docs get printed. It is an automatic operation and there is no way you can disable this function. It is done like this way to get the better print quality. The grayscale printing usually needs some colour carts to convert the actual image.