Thread: PCIe 4.0 Will get double speed than PCIe 3.0

PCIe 4.0 Will get double speed than PCIe 3.0

Now it is just an announcement from the PCI standard, recognized as PCI-SIG. the announcement is all about the next generation PCIe standard and that may be version 4.0. I know that it is not going to show very soon now. We need to wait for it at least 2 more years. I don’t know about its crazy performance but I hope that it could have double speed and more than what we are experiencing in PCI 3.0 at the moment. As far as I can assume that it might be fully operational after 2015.

Re: PCIe 4.0 Will get double speed than PCIe 3.0

PCIe 4.0 devices are the allusions to the PCI SIG now probably before 2015, perhaps to be expected only on 2016. The fast interface alone but uses little RAM and PCIe platforms must be fast enough. PCIe 4.0 x16 creates up to 32 GB / s, so it must have two memory channels with DDR4-2133 chips (PC4-17066) are used.

While the PCIe 3.0 is just beginning to be integrated into our PC, and does so still incomplete, the body responsible to change the standard, the PCI SIG, started work on version 4.0. Indeed the state of research and experimentation in house, the PCIe 4.0 should have the specifications endorsed by the end of 2014.

I can assume that the next version of PCIe seems very high speeds. It is true that the fastest lines are less physical need, but it is also true that the high frequencies complicate the layout of motherboards and controllers of these buses.

I dont think that they are very useful. They are probably designed for professional fields / server where the amount of bandwidth interconnection is often more important than brute computing power.

PCI Express is likely to gain even more importance in future, such as SSD interface (SATA Express) or for external extensions. Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 built upon the PCIe 2.0 speeds of 5 GT / s and should have also succeeded with PCIe 3.0-or 4.0-engineering. The semiconductor circuit blocks for PCI Express can be used in modified form, but also about DisplayPort. Also Serial ATA and Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) use affiliate transceiver concepts.

I do not know if you realized how many GB / s so they are able to transmit a single line ... saturate 16GT/s (so in practice almost 16GB/s) with SSD in Raid and video cards? With 10 of these lines you can afford the bandwidth of the GTX580! Or you can put on a card next to GDRR5 video card and GPU we enter with the band now available on a long-4cm wide and 384bit bus.

In order to saturate the bandwidth with an SSD you need so many channels is that the raid will cost more than a system composed of DDR3 modules running on battery power! And maybe even with this success to saturating the bandwidth.

While motherboard manufacturers begin to incorporate PCI Express 3.0 standard, with a view of the arrival of Ivy Bridge processors are necessary to make the most of the gain bandwidth allowed (via graphics cards also could exploit this Gen 3), PCI SIG, the body responsible standard, reveals the first information on the PCIe 4.0.